MM-SOAR: Modified SOAR Protocol Using Multiple Metrics for Wireless Mesh Network
Wireless Mesh Networks (WMNs) are bringing revolutionary changes in the field of wireless communication. Routing protocols and the cost metric play an important role in the performance of WMN. Currently most common metric used in Opportunistic Routing is Expected Transmission Count (ETX) based on the link’s error rate and have drawback of lower throughput and higher overhead. In this paper we propose a new opportunistic routing protocol, Multiple Metric-Simple Opportunistic Adaptive Routing (MM-SOAR) with improved throughput. We introduce a new routing metric, Multiple Metric Cost (MMC), integrating three metrics: 1) Available bandwidth, 2) Residual energy and 3) Expected Transmission Count (ETX). MM-SOAR is simulated on OMNET++ and our extensive evaluation shows that MM-SOAR gives better performance than traditional Destination Source Routing (DSR) protocol and SOAR under a wide range of scenery.
KeywordsShort Path Residual Energy Packet Delivery Ratio Wireless Mesh Network Forwarding Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Rozner, E., Seshadri, J., Mehta, Y., Qiu, L.: SOAR: Simple Opportunistic Adaptive Routing Protocol for Wireless Mesh Networks. IEEE TMC (2009)Google Scholar
- Sarrar, N.: Implementation and evaluation of an opportunistic mesh routing protocol. Master’s thesis, Technische Universität Berlin (2009)Google Scholar
- Sumathi, N., Sumathi, C.P.: Energy and Bandwidth Constrained QoS Enabled Routing for MANETs. In: World Congress on Computer Science and Information Engineering (IEEE CSIE 2011) (2011)Google Scholar
- Parissidis, G., Karaliopoulos, M., Baumann, R., Spyropoulos, T.: Routing Metric for Wireless Mesh Network. International Journal (2013)Google Scholar
- Draves, R., Padhye, J., Zill, B.: Comparisons of routing metrics for static multi-hop wireless networks. In: Proc.of ACM Annual Conference of the Special Interest Group on Data Communication (SIGCOMM), August 2004, pp. 133–144 (2004)Google Scholar
- Varga, A.: The omnet++ discrete event simulation system. In: European Simulation Multiconference (June 2001)Google Scholar
- Zhongliang Zhao, T.B.: OMNeT++ based opportunistic routing protocols simulation: A framework. In: 10th Scandinavian Workshop on Wireless Ad-hoc Networks, ADHOC 2011 (2011)Google Scholar