A New Variant of Algebraic Attack
Algebraic attack is an important attack strategy against symmetric ciphers, particularly stream ciphers. The most vital issue in this attack is to reduce the degree of the algebraic equations as much as possible in order to obtain a lower time complexity. This paper presents one such means of obtaining low degree equations using the decomposition of Boolean functions. This method overcomes the two major drawbacks of fast algebraic attack. We have discussed the general attack strategy using decomposable function. We also demonstrate the decomposition of some Boolean function used in practical stream ciphers. Finally we have given a bound on the degree of a function to be multiplied with a given function so that the product has low degree decomposition.
KeywordsBoolean function Algebraic Attack Fast Algebraic Attack Decomposition of Boolean function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cid, C., Kiyomoto, S., Kurihara, J.: The rakaposhi stream cipher. Information and Communications Security, 32–46 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Courtois, N., O’Neil, S., Quisquater, J.J.: Practical algebraic attacks on the hitag2 stream cipher. In: Information Security, pp. 167–176 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Crama, Y., Hammer, P.L.: Boolean models and methods in mathematics. In: Computer Science and Engineering (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Cusick, T.W., Stănică, P.: Cryptographic Boolean functions and applications. Academic Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Dawson, E., Clark, A., Golic, J., Millan, W., Penna, L., Simpson, L.: The lili-128 keystream generator. In: Proceedings of first NESSIE Workshop (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Faugre, J.C.: A new efficient algorithm for computing Gröbner bases without reduction to zero (F5). In: International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, pp. 75–83 (2002), http://www-salsa.lip6.fr/~jcf/Papers/F02a.pdf
- 12.Segers, A.: Algebraic attacks from a gröbner basis perspective. Master’s Thesis (2004)Google Scholar