3D Reconstruction from Planar Contours: Analysis of Heuristic Tiling Approaches
- 566 Downloads
3D reconstruction from planar contours using the heuristic approach implements rules for three different phases of the process: correspondence, tiling and branching. We have analyzed existing algorithms and have been able to isolate their constituent pieces which allowed us to foresee many other possible (atomic) contributions. These pieces of algorithms were implemented independently and different mixes were compared using performance, geometrical and user-centered metrics. It was found that user-centered analysis are not reliable; that local criterion do not reflect on the whole model’s quality and; that there is a tradeoff between performance and geometrical metrics. We could also find a particular mix of algorithm pieces that lead to a novel 3D reconstruction algorithm. Moreover, we have built an open source freeware framework where more mixes can be composed and where further testing and improvements could be carried out.
KeywordsSolid Modeling 3D Reconstruction Tiling Algorithm Planar Contour Heuristic Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anzolin, G.R., Hounsell, M.S., Silva, A.G.: Delta-Connection: A Solution for 3D Object Reconstruction. INFOCOMP Journal of Computer Science 7(2), 65–73 (2008) ISSN: 1807-4545Google Scholar
- 2.Barequet, G.: Publicly-Available Resources, ftp://ftp.cs.technion.ac.il/pub/barequet/psdb (accessed November 13, 2013)
- 4.Chen, Y., Chen, Y., Chiang, A., Hsieh, K.: A Reliable Surface Reconstruction System in Biomedicine 86(2), 141–152 (2007), doi:10.1016/j.cmpb.2007.01.011, ISSN 0169-2607Google Scholar
- 9.Li, Z., Ma, L., Tan, W.: Three-dimensional Object Reconstruction from Contour Lines. In: Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Virtual Reality Continuum and its Applications, Hong Kong, pp. 319–322 (June 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Meyes, D.: Reconstruction of Surfaces From Planar Contours. Doctor of Philosophy. University of Washington (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Sloan, K.R., Painter, J.: From Contours to Surfaces: Testbed and Initial Results. In: Proc. CHI+GI 1987, Toronto, Canada, pp. 115–120 (April 1987)Google Scholar
- 13.Web3d Consortium. X3D Frequently Asked Questions, http://www.web3d.org (accessed on February 15, 2012)
- 14.BS Contact, http://www.bitmanagement.com (accessed on February 15, 2012)
- 15.Barequet, G., Shapiro, D., Tal, A.: History Consideration in Reconstructing Plyhedral Surfaces from Parallel Slices. In: Visualization 1996, pp. 149–156 (1996)Google Scholar