Reaching the Client in Geographically Adverse Conditions: Can Outsourcing Increase Effectiveness and Efficiency?
- 9.1k Downloads
Serving rural financial markets in developing and transition economies requires understanding the specific needs of the rural population in terms of financial products and services, designing adapted products and services on this basis, and defining an adequate organizational set-up.
KeywordsTransaction Cost Financial Service Bank Branch Reduce Transaction Cost Mobile Payment
- Alexandre, C., Mas, I., Radcliffe, D. (2010) Regulating New Banking Models that Can Bring Financial Services to All, 1 August 2010, http://ssrn.com/abstract=1664644 (last accessed 16 October 2010).
- Andersen, E. (1985) The Salesperson as Outside Agent or Employee: a Transaction Cost Analysis. Marketing Science 4(3).Google Scholar
- Berger, E., Opportunity International (2009) Case Study, Overcoming Back-end Barriers: Opportunity International and Bank Switching Solutions, http://www.opportunity.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Switching-Solutions.pdf.
- Breloff, P., Tarazi, M. (2010) Nonbank E-Money Issuers: Regulatory Approaches to Protecting Customer Funds. CGAP Focus Note No. 63.Google Scholar
- Campbell, B., Kalanda, A.-A. (2008) Banking Rollout Approaches to Rural Markets – Opportunity International Bank of Malawi. OI White Paper N°8.Google Scholar
- CGAP Technology Program (2008) Notes on Regulation of Branchless Banking in Brazil.Google Scholar
- Central Bank of Kenya (2010) Guidelines for Agency Banking.Google Scholar
- Chipchase, J. (2010) Mobile banking: Agents as mediators. http://technology.cgap.org/2010/06/04/mobile-banking-agents-asmediators/#more-2630.
- Dias, D., McKee, K. (2010) Protecting Branchless Banking Consumers: Policy Objectives and Regulatory Options. CGAP Focus Note No. 64.Google Scholar
- Eijkman, F., Kendall, J., Mas, I. (2010) Bridges to Cash: the retail endof M-PESA. The challenge of maintaining liquidity for M-PESA Agent Networks.Google Scholar
- Firpo, J. (2009) E-Money – Mobile Money – Mobile Banking – What’s the Difference?, http://psdblog.worldbank.org/psdblog/2009/01/emoney-mobile-moneymobile-banking-whats-the-difference.html.
- GSMA (2010) Mobile Money Definitions, Mobile Money for the Unbanked.Google Scholar
- Ivatury, G., Mas, I. (2008) The Early Experience with Branchless Banking, CGAP Focus Note No. 46.Google Scholar
- Ivatury, G., Lymann, T., Staschen, S. (2006) Use of Agents in Branchless Banking for the Poor: Rewards, Risks and Regulation. CGAP Focus Note No. 38.Google Scholar
- Kumar, A., Nair, A., Parsons, A., Urdapilleta, E. (2006) Expanding Bank Outreach through Retail Partnerships, Correspondent Banking in Brazil, World Bank Working Paper No.85.Google Scholar
- Kumar, K., McKay, C., Rotman, S. (2010) Microfinance and Mobile Banking: The Story So Far. CGAP Focus Note No. 62.Google Scholar
- Letort, J.-M. (2010) How to make your MM project profitable? Greenwich Consulting, GSMA presentation.Google Scholar
- McKay C., Pickens, M. (2010) Branchless Banking 2010: Who’s Served? At What Price? What’s Next? CGAP Focus Note No. 66.Google Scholar
- McKay, C. (2010) From rural outpost to boomtown: how banking services transformed a town in the Amazon, CGAP technology blog, http://technology.cgap.org/2010/01/28/from-rural-outpost-to-boomtown-how-bankingservices-transformed-a-town-in-the-amazon/.
- Mwaura, K., Okuttah, M. (2010) Equity’s deal with Orange tilts banking landscape. posted Thursday, November 11th 2010 at 19:43 on Business Daily, http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate%20News/Equitys%20deal%20with%252.
- Munford, M. (2010) M-Paisa: Ending Afghan Corruption, one Text at a Time.Google Scholar
- North, D. (1999): Institutions, Institutional Change and Economic Performance.Google Scholar
- Pickens, M., Porteous, D., Rotman, S. (2009) Scenarios for Branchless Banking in CGAP Focus Note No. 57, www.cgap.org/gm/document-1.9.40599/FN57.pdf (last accessed 16 October 2010).
- ProCredit Bank Moldova (2009) Annual Report 2009, www.procreditholding.com/front_content.php?idcat=26 (last accessed 16 October 2010).
- Reille, X. (2006) Les technologies de distribution, MFT 2006, Turin “Microfinance et technologie”.Google Scholar
- Reserve Bank of India (2006) Circular Financial Inclusion by Extension of Banking Services – Use of Business Facilitators and Correspondents, http://rbi.org.in/scripts/BS_CircularIndexDisplay.aspx?Id=2718.
- Reserve Bank of India (2010) Discussion Paper on Engagement of ‘for-profit’ Companies as Business Correspondents, http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/bs_viewcontentaspx?Id=2234..
- Rotman, S. (2010) Branchless banking in Brazil: making it work for small merchants, CGAP technology blog, http://technology.cgap.org/2010/02/05/branchless-banking-inbrazil-making-it-work-for-small-merchants/.
- Rutherford, S. (2010) New Paradigms in Microfinance Portfolios of the Poor microfinance from the perspective of the poor, adapting to clients. Boulder: MFT.Google Scholar
- Tarazi, M. (2010) The Logic Behind Branchless Banking, CGAP, Boulder Microfinance Institute.Google Scholar
- Whelan, S., with contributions from CGAP Staff and exchange, LLC (2004): Automated Teller Machines, CGAP IT Innovations Series, http://www.cgap.org/p/site/c/template.rc/1.9.2757.
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.