A Label Propagation-Based Algorithm for Community Discovery in Online Social Networks
With the rapid development of Internet and Web 2.0 applications, many different patterns of online social networks become fashionable all over the world. These sites help people share and exchange information, as well as maintain their social relations on the Internet. Therefore, it is very important to study the structure of communities in online social network.
Most of existed community discovery algorithms are very costly. Moreover, the behavior of users in online social networks is rather dynamic. We first investigate Label Propagation Algorithm (LPA), which has near linear time complexity and discuss some limitations of LPA. Then, we propose a new algorithm for community discovery based on label influence vector (LIVB), an improved variation of LPA. In this algorithm, we abstract several types of nodes corresponding to different kinds of entities such as users, posts, videos as well as comments. Different types of relations between nodes are also taken into account. A node will update its label by calculating its label influence vector. We conduct experiments on crawled real data and the experimental results show that communities discovered by LIVB algorithm have more concentrative topics. The quality of the communities is improved and LIVB algorithm remains a near linear time complexity.
KeywordsCommunity discovery label propagation social network label influence value label influence vector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 12.Danon, L., Daz-Guilera, A., Arenas, A.: The Effect of Size Heterogeneity on Community Identification in Complex Networks. Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment 2006(11), P11010 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Wasserman, S., Faust, K.: Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications. Cambridge University Press (1994)Google Scholar
- 17.Pirolli, P., Pitkow, J., Rao, R.: Silk from a Sow’s Ear: Extracting Usable Structures from the Web. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems: Common Ground, pp. 118–125. ACM (1996)Google Scholar
- 18.Raghavan, U.N., Albert, R., Kumara, S.: Near Linear Time Algorithm to Detect Community Structures in Large-Scale Networks. Physical Review E 76(3), 036106 (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.Leung, I.X.Y., Hui, P., Li, P., et al.: Towards real-time community detection in large networks. Physical Review E 79(6), 066107 (2009)Google Scholar
- 21.Newman, M.E.J., Girvan, M.: Finding and Evaluating Community Structure in Networks. Physical Review E 69(2), 026113 (2004)Google Scholar