A Local Greedy Search Method for Detecting Community Structure in Weighted Social Networks
In this paper, we give a new definition of community which is composed of two parts: community core and the periphery. Community core consists of highly densely connected nodes. And we propose LGSM (Local Greedy Search Method) for discovering community structures in social networks. LGSM sorts node according to weighted degree. For each node, LGSM derives a maximal weighted clique as a seed cluster. Then, LGSM adds new nodes into the seed cluster until the weighted edge density is smaller than the threshold value. After all community cores are detected, LGSM allots isolated nodes to the detected cores, and optimizes the community structure based on modularity. Our method is an integrative method, which is applicable not only to discovering overlapping communities, but also to discovering non-overlapping community. Experiments illustrate that LGSM can achieve good community structure on synthetic and real-world networks and the time complexity is O(|E|lg(|V|)).
Keywordsoverlapping community core community structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Newman, M.: Fast algorithm for detecting community structure in networks. Phys. Rev. E 69, 066133 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Lancichinetti, A., Fortunato, S.: Community detection algorithms: A comparative analysis. Phys. Rev. E 80(5), 056117 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Xie, J., Kelley, S., Szymanski, B.K.: Overlapping Community Detection in Networks: The State of the Art and Comparative Study. ACM Computing Surveys 4 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Fortunato, S.: Community detection in graphs. arXiv:0906.0612 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Shen, H., Cheng, X., Cai, K., Hu, M.-B.: Detect overlapping and hierarchical community structure. Physica A 388, 1706 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Jianbin, H., Heli, S., Jiawei, H., Hongbo, D., Yizhou, S., Yaguang, L.: SHRINK: A Structural Clustering Algorithm for Detecting Hierarchical Communities in Networks. In: CIKM, pp. 219–228 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Clauset, A., Newman, M., Moore, C.: Finding community structure in very large networks. Phys. Rev. E 70, 066111 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Duch, J., Alex Arenas, A.: Community detection in complex networks using extremal optimization. Phys. Rev. E 72, 027104 (2005)Google Scholar