A PILOT/VND/GRASP Hybrid for the Static Balancing of Public Bicycle Sharing Systems
Due to varying user demands in bicycle sharing systems, operators need to actively shift bikes between stations by a fleet of vehicles. We address the problem of finding efficient vehicle tours by an extended version of an iterated greedy construction heuristic following the concept of the PILOT method and GRASP and applying a variable neighborhood descend (VND) as local improvement. Computational results on benchmark instances derived from the real-world scenario in Vienna with up to 700 stations indicate that our PILOT/GRASP hybrid especially scales significantly better to very large instances than a previously proposed variable neighborhood search (VNS) approach. Applying only one iteration, the PILOT construction heuristic followed by the VND provides good solutions very quickly, which can be potentially useful for urgent requests.
KeywordsGreedy Randomize Adaptive Search Procedure Variable Neighborhood Search Vehicle Rout Problem Benchmark Instance Vehicle Route
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Contardo, C., Morency, C., Rousseau, L.M.: Balancing a Dynamic Public Bike-Sharing System. Tech. Rep. CIRRELT-2012-09, Montreal, Canada (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Pirkwieser, S., Raidl, G.R.: A variable neighborhood search for the periodic vehicle routing problem with time windows. In: Proceedings of the 9th EU/MEeting on Metaheuristics for Logistics and Vehicle Routing, Troyes, France (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Raidl, G.R., Hu, B., Rainer-Harbach, M., Papazek, P.: Balancing bicycle sharing systems: Improving a VNS by efficiently determining optimal loading operations. In: Blesa, M.J., Blum, C., Festa, P., Roli, A., Sampels, M. (eds.) HM 2013. LNCS, vol. 7919, pp. 130–143. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Raviv, T., Tzur, M., Forma, I.A.: Static repositioning in a bike-sharing system: models and solution approaches. EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics, 1–43 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Resende, M., Ribeiro, C.: Greedy randomized adaptive search procedures. In: Glover, F., Kochenberger, G. (eds.) Handbook of Metaheuristics, pp. 219–249. Kluwer Academic Publishers (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Schuijbroek, J., Hampshire, R., van Hoeve, W.J.: Inventory Rebalancing and Vehicle Routing in Bike Sharing Systems. Tech. Rep. 2013-E1, Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University (2013)Google Scholar