An Improved Heuristic for the Probabilistic Traveling Salesman Problem with Deadlines Based on GPGPU
Stochastic combinatorial optimization problems have received increasing attention in recent years. These problems can be used to obtain more realistic models for real world applications. The drawback is that stochastic combinatorial optimization problems are usually much harder to solve than their non-stochastic counterparts and therefore efficient heuristics for these problems are of great importance. In this paper we focus on the Probabilistic Traveling Salesman Problem with Deadlines, a well-known stochastic vehicle routing problem. This problem can be efficiently solved using a heuristic based on general-purpose computing on graphics processing units. We show how such a heuristic can be further improved to allow a more efficient utilization of the graphics processing unit. We extensively discuss our results and point out how our techniques can be generalized for solving other stochastic combinatorial optimization problems.
KeywordsGraphic Processing Unit Travel Salesman Problem Vehicle Route Problem Stochastic Demand Total Computational Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Campbell, A.M., Thomas, B.W.: Challenges and advances in a priori routing. In: The Vehicle Routing Problem: Latest Advances and New Challenges, pp. 123–142 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Immorlica, N., Karger, D., Minkoff, M., Mirrokni, V.S.: On the costs and benefits of procrastination: Approximation algorithms for stochastic combinatorial optimization problems. In: Proceedings of the Fifteenth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 691–700. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Jaillet, P.: Probabilistic traveling salesman problems. PhD thesis, M. I. T., Dept. of Civil Engineering (1985)Google Scholar
- 20.Uryasev, S., Pardalos, P.M.: Stochastic optimization: Algorithms and applications. Springer (2001)Google Scholar
- 21.Weyland, D., Bianchi, L., Gambardella, L.M.: New heuristics for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem. In: Proceedings of the VIII Metaheuristic International Conference (MIC 2009) (2009)Google Scholar
- 22.Weyland, D., Montemanni, R., Gambardella, L.M.: Using statistical tests for improving state-of-the-art heuristics for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem with deadlines. In: Moreno-Díaz, R., Pichler, F., Quesada-Arencibia, A. (eds.) EUROCAST 2011, Part I. LNCS, vol. 6927, pp. 448–455. Springer, Heidelberg (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Weyland, D., Montemanni, R., Gambardella, L.M.: A metaheuristic framework for stochastic combinatorial optimization problems based on GPGPU with a case study on the probabilistic traveling salesman problem with deadlines. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (2012)Google Scholar
- 25.Weyland, D., Montemanni, R., Gambardella, L.M.: Heuristics for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem with deadlines based on quasi-parallel Monte Carlo sampling. Computers and Operations Research (2012) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 26.Weyland, D., Montemanni, R., Gambardella, L.M.: On the computational complexity of the probabilistic traveling salesman problem with deadlines (2012) (submitted)Google Scholar