Physical Activity Classification Using Resilient Backpropagation (RPROP) with Multiple Outputs
Considerable research has been conducted into the classification of Physical activity monitoring, an important field in computing research. Using artificial neural networks model, this paper explains novel architecture of neural network that can classify physical activity monitoring, recorded from 9 subjects. This work also presents a continuation of benchmarking on various defined tasks, with a high number of activities and personalization, trying to provide better solutions when it comes to face common classification problems. A brief review of the algorithm employed to train the neural network is presented in the first section. We also present and discuss some preliminary results which illustrate the performance and the usefulness of the proposed approach. The last sections are dedicated to present results of many architectures networks. In particular, the experimental section shows that multiple-output approaches represent a competitive choice for classification tasks both for biological purposes, industrial etc.
KeywordsResilient Backpropagation Classification Physical Activity Monitoring Activity Recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reiss, A., Stricker, D.: Creating and Benchmarking a New Dataset for Physical Activity Monitoring. In: PETRA 2012, Crete Island, Greece, June 6-8 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Reiss, A., Stricker, D.: Towards Global Aerobic Activity Monitoring. In: 4th International Conference on Pervasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments “PETRA” (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Bao, L., Intille, S.: Activity recognition from user-annotated acceleration data. In: Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Pervasive Comput., pp. 1–17 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Reiss, A., Weber, M., Stricker, D.: Exploring and Extending the Boundaries of Physical Activity Recognition. In: IEEE SMC Workshop on Robust Machine Learning Techniques for Human Activity Recognition, pp. 46–50 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Xue, Y., Jin, L.: A Naturalistic 3D Acceleration-Based Activity Dataset & Benchmark Evaluations. In: International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC), pp. 4081–4085 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Riedmiller, M., Braun, H.: A Direct Adaptive Method for Faster Backpropagation Learning: The RPROP Algorithm. In: IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 1, pp. 586–591 (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Riedmiller, M.: Rprop - Description and Implementation Details. Technical Report (January 1994)Google Scholar
- 8.PAMAP project’s website, http://www.pamap.org/demo.html
- 9.Sagha, H., Digumarti, S.T., del R. Milln, J., Chavarriaga R., Calatroni A., Roggen D., Trster, G.: Benchmarking classification techniques using the Opportunity human activity dataset. In: IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (2011)Google Scholar