Video Error Concealment Based on Data Hiding for the Emerging Video Technologies
The new high efficiency video coding standard (HEVC) includes structures and tools that were not available in previous standards. The macrobock concept was replaced by a quad-tree structure that includes: coding units, prediction units and transform units; also, new parallelization tools are now available. Video transmissions over error prone environments have the need of reliable and efficient error concealment methods. Unfortunately, most of the existent error concealment methods interfere, or do not take advantage of the new structures and tools.
In this work, a data hiding based error concealment method is proposed for the HEVC. During encoding, information is embedded into the residual transform coefficients; this information, is later retrieved and used during the error concealment process. The performed experiments and results show a superior performance when compared against the non-normative error concealment method included in the H.264/AVC joint model.
KeywordsError concealment Data hiding HEVC Quad-tree H.264
- 2.ITU-T.: J.247: Objective perceptual multimedia video quality measurement in the presence of a full reference (2008) (online) http://www.itu.int/
- 3.New video codec to ease pressure on global networks - press release, http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press/_releases/2013/01.aspx
- 7.Kim, I.-K., McCann, K., Sugimoto, K., Bross, B., Han, W.: High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Test Model 9 Encoder Description. Document of Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding, JCTVC-K1002v2 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Richardson, I.E.G.: Video Codec Design, Developing Image and Video Compression System. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., England (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Wang, Y.-K., Hannuksela, M.M., Varsa, V., Hourunranta, A., Gabbouj, M.: The error concealment feature in the H.26L test model. In: International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 2, pp. II-729–II-732. IEEE (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Bossen, F.: Common test conditions and software reference configurations. Document of Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding, JCTVC-K1100 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.HEVC’s Test Model under Consideration, Software Repository, https://hevc.hhi.fraunhofer.de/svn/svn_HEVCSoftware/tags/HM-9.1rc1/
- 14.Lam, W.-M., Reibman, A.R., Liu, B.: Recovery of lost or erroneously received motion vectors. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 5, pp. 417–420. IEEE (1993)Google Scholar
- 16.Kim, D., Yang, S., Jeong, J.: A new temporal error concealment method for H.264 using adaptive block sizes. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 3, pp. III-928–III-931. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 20.Chen, T., Zhang, X., Shi, Y.-Q.: Error concealment using refined boundary matching algorithm. In: International Conference on Information Technology: Research and Education, pp. 55–59. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar