Bayesian Electromagnetic Imaging
- 215 Downloads
This work presents a method to find rock conductivities in a zone from electromagnetic measurements on the surface of the earth. It uses a stochastic algorithm to find a Bayesian estimator of the conductivities. The algorithm is tested on a synthetic model made up of an heteregeneous thin sheet inbedded in a stratified substratum.
Key wordsElectromagnetism Inverse Problem Bayesian Statistic Stochastic Algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barthes, V. and Vasseur, G. (1980). An inverse problem for electromagnetic prospection.Google Scholar
- Counil, J.L., Le Mouel, J.L. and Menvielle, M. (1986). Associate and conjugate direction concepts in magnetotellurics. Annales Geophysicae, 4, B, 115–130.Google Scholar
- Geman, S. and Geman, D. (1984). Stochastic relaxation, Gibbs distribution, and the Bayesian restoration of images. IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 6, 721–741.Google Scholar
- Gibert, D. and Vineux, J. (1991). Electromagnetic imaging and simulated annealing. J. Geophys. Res., 96, 8057–8067.Google Scholar
- Kirkpatrick, S. (1984). Optimisation by simulated annealing: quantitative studies. J. Stat. Phys., 34, 975–986.Google Scholar
- Mackie, R.L., Bennett, B.R., Madden, T.R. (1988). Long period magnetotellutic measurements near the central California coast: a land-locked view of the conductivity structure under the Pacific ocean. Geophys. J. Royal Astr. Soc., 95, 181–194.Google Scholar
- Mareschal, M. and Vasseur, G. (1984). Bimodal induction in non-uniform thin sheets: do the present algorithms work for regional studies. J. Geophys., 55, 203–213.Google Scholar
- Morse, P. M., Feshback, H. (1953). Methods of theoritical physics. Mc Graw-Hill New York. Press, S.J. (1989). Bayesian statistics: principle, models ans applications. John Wiley sons. Tarantola, A. ( 1987 ). Inverse problem theory. Elsevier Science Publishers B. V..Google Scholar
- Tarits, P., Jouanne, V., Menvielle, M., Roussignol, M. (1991). Bayesian statistics in geophysics: example of the magnetotelluric 1-d inverse problem. submitted to J. Geophys..Google Scholar
- Vasseur, G. and Weidelt, P. (1977). Bimodal electromagnetic induction in non-uniform thin sheets with an application to thrnothem Pyrenean induction anomaly. Geophys. J. R. astr. Soc., 51, 669–690.Google Scholar
- Weidelt, P. (1975). Electromagnetic induction in three-dimensional structures. J. Geophys., 41, 85–109.Google Scholar