Exploitation of a Rough Approximation of the Outranking Relation in Multicriteria Choice and Ranking
Given a finite set A of actions evaluated by a family of criteria, we consider a preferential information in the form of a pairwise comparison table (PCT) including pairs of actions from a subset B⊆AxA described by graded preference relations on particular criteria and a comprehensive outranking relation. Using the rough set approach to the analysis of the PCT, we obtain a rough approximation of the outranking relation by a graded dominance relation. Decision rules derived from this approximation are then applied to a set M⊆A of potential actions. As a result, we obtain a four-valued outranking relation on set M. The construction of a suitable exploitation procedure in order to obtain a recommendation for multicriteria choice and ranking is an open problem within this context. We propose an exploitation procedure that it is the only one satisfying some desirable properties.
KeywordsRough sets multicriteria decision making four-valued outranking exploitation procedures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fishburn, P. C., The Theory of Social Choice, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1973.Google Scholar
- Goodman, L. A., "On methods of amalgamation", in: R.M. Thrall, C.H. Coombs andRX. Davis, Eds., Decision Processes, Wiley, New York, 1954, 39–48.Google Scholar
- Greco S., Matarazzo, B., Slowinski, R.Rough Set Approach to Multi-Attribute Choice and Ranking Problems, ICS Research Report 38/95, Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw, 1995. Also in: G. Fandel and T. Gal (Eds.), Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1997, 318–329.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Greco S., Matarazzo, B., Slowinski, R., Rough Approximation of Preference Relation by Dominance Relations, ICS Research Report 16/96, Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw, 1996. Also in: European Journal of Operational Research, to appear.Google Scholar
- Greco S., Matarazzo, B., Slowinski, R., Tsoukias, A., Exploitation of a rough approximation of the outranking relation, Cahier du LAMSADE, no. 152, University of Paris-Dauphine, Paris, 1997.Google Scholar
- Roy, B, Méthodolgie multicritère d’aide à la décision, Economica, Paris, 1985.Google Scholar
- Roy, B., "Decision science or decision aid science?", European Journal of Operational Research, Special Issue on Model Validation in Operations Research, 66,1993,184–203.Google Scholar
- Slowinski, R., Vanderpooten, D,, Similarity relation as a basis for rough approximations, ICS Research Report 53/95, Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw, 1995.Google Scholar
- Slowinski, R., Vanderpooten, D., A generalized definition of rough approximation, ICS Research Report 4/96, Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw, 1996.Google Scholar
- Slowinski, R., Vanderpooten, D., "A generalized definition of rough approximation based on similarity", to appear in IEEE Transactions on Data and Knowledge Engineering, 1998.Google Scholar