Second-Generation Interactive Multi-Criteria Decision Making in Reservoir Management
Multi-purpose reservoir management is a well-known research area within Multi-Criteria Decision Making. In spite of the obvious multi-faceted decision problem, the suitability for mathematical modelling and the easily identifiable single decision maker, the many published works have apparently not affected the current operating practice, which is largely based on rules-of-thumb and policy targets. This work analyses some of the characteristics behind this from a decision-theoretical viewpoint and announces the arrival of the second generation interactive Multi- Criteria Decision Support. Based on a learning-oriented approach, designed to facilitate operator training and communication of decisions in low-key systems like spread-sheets, the proposed methodology is oriented around the problems of a contemporary dam manager. Finally, some questions are risen regarding the use of information technology and graphical aids in the communication of a decision.
KeywordsReservoir Management Multi-Criteria Decision Making
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agrell, P. J., B. J. Lence and A. Stam. (1995) An Interactive Multi-Criteria Decision Model for Reservoir Management: the Shellmouth Reservoir Case. Working Paper WP-95–090, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria.Google Scholar
- Brooke, A., D. Kendrick and A. Meeraus (1988) GAMS: A User’s Guide. Scientific Press, Redwood City, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- Haimes, Y. Y., W. A. Hall and W. A. Freedman (1975) Multiobjectives Opimization in Water Resources Systems. Elsevier, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Ignizio, J. P. (1976) Goal Programming and Extensions. Lexington, New York.Google Scholar
- Latheef, M. I. (1991) Application of Optimization Techniques for Reservoir Management in Conjunction with Thermoelectric Power Generation. M.S. Thesis, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.Google Scholar