Interpretative Structural Modelling: Decision Making and the Method of Science
This paper briefly explores how the method of science may be of use to management. It concludes that the abductive phase in the method of science, as described by Charles Saunders Peirce, offers opportunities for improving the effectiveness of decision making and planning. It goes on to describe a group consensus reaching methodology Interpretative Structural Modelling and argues that that it can be used a useful basis for management abduction.
KeywordsDecision making Method of science Abduction Group work.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ackoff, Russell L (1994): The Democratic Corporation, Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Argyris, Chris (1993): On Organisational Learning, Blackwell Publishers.Google Scholar
- Almeder, Robert (1980): The Philosophy of Charles Peirce: a Critical Introduction, Basil Blackwell Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Brent, Joseph (1993): Charles Saunders Peirce: a Life, Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Goudge, Thomas A. (1949): The Thought of CS Peirce, Dover Publication, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Handy, Charles (1989): The Age of Unreason, Business Books Ltd.Google Scholar
- Keidel, Robert W. (1995) Seeing Organisation Patterns: a new theory and language of organisational design. Barrett-Koehler Publishers Inc.Google Scholar
- Miller, David (1983) ed.: A Pocket Popper. Fontana Press.Google Scholar
- Misak, CI. (1991): Truth and the End of Inquiry: A Peircian account of Truth, Clarendon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Rescher, Nicholas (1995): Peirce on the Validation of Science, in Ketner, Kenneth Lain (Ed): Peirce and Contemporary Thought, Fordham University Press.Google Scholar
- Reilly, Francis E. (1970): Charles Peirce ’s Theory of Scientific Method, Fordham University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Revans, Reg (1982): The Origins and Growth of Action Learning, Chartwell Bratt, Bickley, Kent.Google Scholar
- Senge, Peter (1990): The Fifth Discipline, Doubleday New York.Google Scholar
- Warfield, John N. (1976): Societal Systems: Planning, Policy and Complexity, Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Warfield, John N. (1990): Underconceptualisation, Institute for the Advanced Study of the Integrative Sciences, George Mason University.Google Scholar
- Warfield, John N. (1994); A Science of Generic Design: Managing complexity through Systems Design, Iowa State University PressGoogle Scholar