Chemical Properties of Amorphous Alloys
Let us consider a binary titanium-aluminum alloy. When aluminum is added to titanium up to 11 at.%, a single phase having the same structure as titanium, that is, the α-Ti phase is formed. A further increase in the aluminum content of the alloy results in the formation of two phase mixtures, such as α-Ti-Ti3Al, Ti3Al-TiAl, TiAl-TiAl3 and TiAl3-Al. Among them Ti3Al, TiAl and TiAl3 phases are called intermetallic compounds. As can be seen from this example, it is difficult to form a single-phase solid solution in a wide composition range when the alloy is prepared by conventional methods to form the equilibrium phases.
KeywordsCorrosion Rate Amorphous Alloy Passive Film Ferritic Stainless Steel High Corrosion Resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.1M. Naka, K. Hashimoto, T. Masumoto: J. Jpn. Inst. Metals 38, 835 (1974)Google Scholar
- 7.2K. Hashimoto: In Passivity of Metals and Semiconductors, ed. by M. Froment (Elsevier, Amsterdam 1983) p. 235Google Scholar
- 7.3R.M. Latanision, A. Saito, R. Sandenbergh, S.-X. Zhang: In Chemistry and Physics of Rapidly Solidified Materials, ed. by B.J. Berkowitz, R.O. Scattergood (Metallurgical Soc. of AIME, New York 1983) p. 153Google Scholar
- 7.6K. Hashimoto, T. Masumoto, S. Shimodaira: In Passitivity and Its Breakdown on Iron and Iron Base Alloys, ed. by R.W. Staehle, H. Okada (NACE, Houston, TX 1975) p. 34Google Scholar
- 7.7D. Huerta, K.E. Heusler: Proc. 9th Int’l Congr. Metallic Corrosion (Nat’l Research Coucil of Canada, Ottawa 1984) Vol. 1, p. 222Google Scholar
- 7.12K. Hashimoto, P.-Y. Park, J.-H. Kim, H. Yoshioka, E. Akiyama, H. Habazaki, A. Kawashima, K. Asami, Z. Grzesik, S. Mrowec: Mater. Sci. Eng. A198, 1 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.20K. Hashimoto: Trans. Mater. Res. Soc. Jpn. A 18, 35 (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.21K. Hashimoto, E. Akiyama, H. Habazaki, A. Kawashima, K. Shimamura, M. Komori, N. Kumagai: Zairyo-to-Kankyo (Corrosion Engineering), 45, 614 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.22M. Komori, E. Akiyama, H. Habazaki, A. Kawashima, K. Asami, K. Hashimoto: Appl. Catal. B., Environmental 9, 93 (1996)Google Scholar