The Design and Implementation of an Information System for Placement Programmes
Placement programme is now an integral part of higher education curriculums as it brings invaluable chances to integrate practice and theories. However, traditional course management systems cannot handle all the information inside a placement programme such as the input from stakeholders like employers and placement counselors. We have recently designed and implemented an information system to support the information need of our placement programme. The system provides a centralized platform for employers to post placement information; for students to view possible placement opportunities; and for placement counselor to provide placement guidance to the students. The system also provides a matching service to identify the best placement opportunities for each student and the best students for each placement job. This paper shares our experience in the design and implementation of our placement information system.
Keywordsdesign implementation placement post-secondary education matching algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Apple Daily. Graduated for 3 years; Applied CSSA for 1.5 years. Apple Daily (February 14, 2011), Retrieved from http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/
- 2.Caritas Bianchi College of Careers, Placement program to support holistic education (2011), Retrieved from Quality Enhancement Grant Scheme: http://www.ipass.gov.hk/eng/64A2011.pdf
- 3.Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Youth unemployment in Hong Kong. In Third Quarter Economic Report, p. 81. Author, Hong Kong (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.JIJIS, Joint Institutions Job Information System (2012), Retrieved from http://www.jijis.org.hk/
- 5.JobsDB.com. JobsDB Q2 2011, Hiring Index (August 7, 2011), Retrieved from JobsDB.com: http://hk.jobsdb.com/HK/en/StaticContent/promo/survey2011/q2/em/index.htm
- 6.Li, J.: Huge supply of graduates the cause of youth unemployment. China Daily, p. 4 (June 26, 2009), Retrieved from http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hkedition/2009-06/26/content_8324429.htm
- 7.The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Professional Accreditation Handbook (Engineering Degrees). Author, Hong Kong (2013), Retrieved from http://www.hkie.org.hk/docs/accreditation/Accr_Handbook_EngDeg.pdf
- 8.The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2013a), PolyU Job Board. Retrieved from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University: http://www.polyu.edu.hk/caps/jobboard
- 9.The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Work Integrated Education (2013b), Retrieved from The Hong Kong Polytechnic Univserity: http://www.polyu.edu.hk/cpa/polyu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=62&lang=en
- 10.The University of Hong Kong. NETjobs (2013a), Retrieved from CEDARS, HKU: http://cedars.hku.hk/sections/careersplacement/NETjobs/
- 11.The University of Hong Kong. NETmatch (2013b), Retrieved from CEDARS, HKU: https://extranet.hku.hk/netmatch/