Development of an Interactive Game as Educational Tool Using an Off-shelf Simulation Application
With recent development of personal computer, interactive learning tools for educational purposes have evolved, from the use of blackboard and physical objects to the recent use of graphical animations on Personal Computers and Tablet PCs. The use of technology not only increases the effectiveness of personal computer as an educational tool, it also helps in engaging a learner. In this paper we attempt to create a computerized version of the popular beer program albeit with the use of 3D animation using an off-shelf simulation tool namely FlexsimTM Simulation System. The approach has expanded the usage of an industrial simulation tool from just a simulation and modelling tool to be used as a platform for interactive game development for educational purpose. With the built-in feature in 3D graphic animation it also shorten the time required to develop the game model.
KeywordsGame SCM Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beaverstock, M., Greenwood, A.: Applied Simulation: Modelling and Analysis Using FlexSim 3D Simulation Software, 2nd edn. FlexSim Software Product, Inc., USAGoogle Scholar
- 2.Tobail, A., Crowe, J., Arisha, A.: Learning by Gaming: Supply Chain Application. In: Jain, S., Creasey, R.R., Himmelspach, J., White, K.P., Fu, M. (eds.) Proceedings of the 2011 Winter Simulation Conference, pp. 184–191. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., Piscataway (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MIT Forum for Supply Chain Innovation, http://beergrame.mit.edu/
- 4.Cos, J.F.: Bullwhips effect. APICS Dictionary 13th edn. APICS: http://www.apics.org/dictionary/dictionary-information?ID=454 (accessed on Auguest 18, 2013)
- 5.Knolmayer, G., Schmidt, R., Rihs, S.: Working Paper No 197: Teaching Supply Chain Dynamics Beyond the Beer Game. In: Working Paper. Institute of Information Systems (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Kaminsky, P., Simchi-Levi, D.: A New Computerized Beer Game: A Tool for Teaching the Value of Integrated Supply Chain Management. Northwestern University (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Onyesolu, M.O., Ezeani, I., Okonkwo, O.R.: A Survey of Some Virtual Reality Tools and Resources, Virtual Reality and Environments, C.S. Lányi (Ed.). InTech (2012), doi: 10.5772/39062, ISBN: 978-953-51-0579-4, Electronic document, http://www.intechopen.com/books/virtual-reality-and-environments/a-survey-of-some-virtual-reality-tools-and-resources (accessed July 20, 2013)
- 8.Pellegrin, O.: Boat Simulation in FlexSim (2012), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2PBu9LrO2Y (accessed on July 20, 2013)