A Simulation Study of Radial Slits Pressure Regulator for Hydrogen Gas
Noise generation during decompressing hydrogen in fuel cell vehicles is an issue requiring technological solution. This paper studies noise reducing effect and the flow characteristic of radial slits installed in a pressure reducing valve. Simulation is carried out to estimate the pressure–flow characteristic of the radial slit as a noise reducing mean. The simulation indicates a decrease of Reynolds number in the downstream-side of the radial slits structure, which causes noise reduction. Moreover, we proposed installing radial slits to the downstream of a conventional valve. Noise reduction by this new design was verified with a series of experiments. As a result, the valve with radial slits has a noise reduction effect of about 12.1 dB (A) compared with the conventional valve.
KeywordsRadial Slits Hydrogen Gas Pressure Regulator CFD
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.NEDO: Infrastructure technology development, such as safe use of hydrogen (2003) (in Japanese), http://www.nedo.go.jp/activities/ZZ_00265.html
- 2.Ministry of Economy Trade and Industry: Joint Announcement by 13 Japanese companies (2011) (in Japanese), http://www.meti.go.jp/press/20110113003/20110113003.html
- 3.Lighthill, M.J.: On Sound Generated Aerodynamically - I. General Theory. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London (Series A) 211(1107), 564–587 (1952)Google Scholar
- 4.Nishimura, N.: Aerodynamic Noise Reducing Technique by Flow Control. The Japan Society of Fluid Mechanics 20, 221–230 (2001) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 8.Nishimura, M., Kudo, T., Nishioka, M.: Aerodynamic noise reducing techniques by using pile fabrics. Fluid Dynamics Research 42 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Nishimura, M., Fukatsu, S.: Development of low-noise valve use porous metal. Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (Series A) 920(78), 431–433 (1992)Google Scholar
- 10.Kagawa, T., Sekita, K., Murayama, K., Naitou, K.: Control valve, 10-169792Google Scholar
- 12.Youn, C.: Research on the pneumatic system pressure reduction by a slit-type structure,a doctor thesis. Tokyo Institute of Technology (2004) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 13.Hydrogen Energy Test and Research Center (HyTReC) (in Japan), http://hytrec.jp