Dynamics of Scalp Potential and Autonomic Nerve Activity during Intelligence Test
The main objective of this study was to examine the changes in autonomic nervous system (ANS) and scalp potential during intelligence test (IQ). Electroencephalogram (EEG) and Electrocardiogram (ECG) signals were recorded simultaneously from eight healthy participants during IQ and resting states (eyes–closed and eyes-open). Heart rate (HR) and heart rate variability (HRV) were derived from ECG signal. EEG mean power was computed for five frequency bands (delta, theta, alpha, beta, and gamma) and analyzed in 12 regions across the scalp. The EEG frequency bands showed significant (p<0.025) changes between IQ test and rest states. Delta and theta at frontal (PF, AF, F) and temporal regions (FT, T, TP) and alpha activity at parietal (P), parieto-occipital (PO) and occipital (O) regions were significant. In beta and gamma bands, highly reduced mean power was found at P, PO, and O regions as compared to PF, AF, and F regions in IQ test. HR and low frequency in normalized unit (LFnu) were increased significantly (p<0.05 and p<0.025, respectively) in IQ test. Further, high frequency in normalized unit (HFnu) was decreased (p<0.11). Results showed parallel changes in scalp potential and automatic nervous activity during IQ test compared to rest conditions.
KeywordsEEG frequency bands asymmetry intelligence test autonomic nervous system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Amin, H.U., Malik, A.S., Badruddin, N., Chooi, W.-T.: Brain activation during cognitive tasks: An overview of EEG and fMRI studies. In: 2012 IEEE EMBS Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Sciences (IECBES), pp. 950–953 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Amin, H.U., Malik, A.S., Badruddin, N., Chooi, W.-T.: EEG mean power and complexity analysis during complex mental task. In: 2013 ICME International Conference on Complex Medical Engineering (CME), pp. 648–651 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Subhani, A.R., Likun, X., Saeed Malik, A.: Association of Autonomic Nervous System and EEG Scalp Potential During Playing 2D Grand Turismo 5. In: Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2012 Annual International Conference of the IEEE, pp. 3420–3423 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Wu, G.-Q., Arzeno, N.M., Shen, L.-L., Tang, D.-K., Zheng, D.-A., Zhao, N.-Q., et al.: Chaotic Signatures of Heart Rate Variability and Its Power Spectrum in Health, Aging and Heart Failure. PLoS ONE 4, e4323 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Sternberg, R.J.: The theory of successful intelligence. Interamerican Journal of Psychology 39, 189–202 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Hoffmann, S., Falkenstein, M.: The correction of eye blink artefacts in the EEG: A comparison of two prominent methods. PLoS ONE 3 (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Biosignal Tool Box, http://biosig.sourceforge.net/help/index.html