Centering SVDD for Unsupervised Feature Representation in Object Classification
Learning good feature representation from unlabeled data has attracted researchers great attention recently. Among others, K-means clustering algorithm is popularly used to map the input data into a feature representation, by finding the nearest centroid for each input point. However, this ignores the density information of each cluster completely and the resulting representation may be too terse. In this paper, we proposed a SVDD (Support Vector Data Description) based method to address these issues. The key idea of our method is to use SVDD to measure the density of each cluster resulted from K-Means clustering, based on which a robust feature representation can be derived. For this purpose, we add a new constraint to the original SVDD objective function to make the model align better with the data. In addition, we show that our modified SVDD can be solved very efficiently as a linear programming problem, instead of as a quadratic one. The effectiveness and feasibility of the proposed method is verified on two object classification databases with promising results.
KeywordsFeature learning K-means Support Vector Data Description(SVDD) C-SVDD object classification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bengio, Y., Courville, A., Vincent, P.: Representation learning: A review and new perspectives. arXiv preprint arXiv:12065538 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Le, Q.V., Ranzato, M., Monga, R., Devin, M., Chen, K., Corrado, G.S., et al.: Building high-level features using large scale unsupervised learning. arXiv preprint arXiv:11126209 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Jarrett, K., Kavukcuoglu, K., Ranzato, M., LeCun, Y.: What is the best multi-stage architecture for object recognition? In: 2009 IEEE 12th International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 2146–2153. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Cueto, M.A., Morton, J., Sturmfels, B.: Geometry of the restricted Boltzmann machine. In: Viana, M., Wynn, H. (eds.) Algebraic Methods in Statistics and Probability. AMS, Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 516, pp. 135–153 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Coates, A., Lee, H., Ng, A.Y.: An analysis of single-layer networks in unsupervised feature learning. Ann Arbor 1001, 48109 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Xu, J., Yao, J., Ni, L.: Fault detection based on SVDD and cluster algorithm. In: 2011 International Conference on Electronics, Communications and Control (ICECC), pp. 2050–2052. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Martinez, A.M.: The AR face database. CVC Technical Report 24 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Krizhevsky, A., Hinton, G.: Learning multiple layers of features from tiny images. Master’s thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto (2009)Google Scholar