Image Classification Based on Weight Adjustment before Feature Pooling
In image classification based on Bag-of-Features(BoF), the Locality-constrained Linear Coding (LLC) is a successful implementation, which is a more effective coding scheme compared with the traditional vector quantization(VQ) coding. Although, to achieve the best performance, max pooling scheme is chosen in the SPM layer, much of the spatial information is still lost during the pooling step, because all the coded descriptors are given the same importance to obtain the final representation. In this paper, we propose a new scheme that makes full use of spatial structure information to readjust their relative weights red and thus give some descriptors more chances to appear in the final feature vector more than others. Experiments of image classification on benchmark datasets show that the proposed method outperforms the LLC method.
KeywordsImage Classification Weighting Adjustment Feature Pooling Weight Map
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Csurka, G., Dance, C., Fan, L., Willamowski, J., Bray, C.: Visual categorization with bags of keypoints. In: Workshop on Statistical Learning in Computer Vision, ECCV, vol. 1, p. 22 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Lowe, D.G.: Object recognition from local scale-invariant features. In: The Proceedings of the Seventh IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 2, pp. 1150–1157. IEEE (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Lazebnik, S., Schmid, C., Ponce, J.: Beyond bags of features: Spatial pyramid matching for recognizing natural scene categories. In: 2006 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 2169–2178. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, J., Yu, K., Gong, Y., Huang, T.: Linear spatial pyramid matching using sparse coding for image classification. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR 2009, pp. 1794–1801. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Yu, K., Zhang, T., Gong, Y.: Nonlinear learning using local coordinate coding. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 22, 2223–2231 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, J., Yang, J., Yu, K., Lv, F., Huang, T., Gong, Y.: Locality-constrained linear coding for image classification. In: 2010 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), pp. 3360–3367. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Fei-Fei, L., Perona, P.: A bayesian hierarchical model for learning natural scene categories. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR 2005, vol. 2, pp. 524–531. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar