Towards the Combination of BPMN Process Models with SBVR Business Vocabularies and Rules
Combination capabilities of BPMN and SBVR are analyzed in this paper. In order to combine these two standards we have to analyze current proposals. Process modeling focuses on visualization of process with specific notation. However, today there is a need to have business rules separately from process in order to reduce the size of the process model and avoid misunderstandings and miscommunications between analysts and domain experts or between organizations. Therefore, there is a need to combine business process management and business rule management in one user-friendly environment.
KeywordsBPMN SBVR business process business rule integration transformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, A.: Semantics of Business Process Vocabulary and Process Rules. In: ISEC 2011 Proceedings of the 4th India Software Engineering Conference, pp. 61–68 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN), v.2.0, OMG Document Number: formal/2011-01-03. OMG group, http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/2.0
- 3.Business Rule Speak Solutions. Rule Speak, LLCGoogle Scholar
- 6.Graml, T., Bracth, R., Spies, M.: Patterns of Business Rules to Enable Agile Business Processes. In: Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Enterprice Distributed Object Computing Conference, pp. 365–375. IEEEComputer Society (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Koehler, J.: The Process-Rule Continuum – How can the BPMN and SBVR Standarts inteplay? Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Swicerland (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Recker, J., Indulska, M., Rosemann, M., Green, P.: How good is BPMN realy? Insights from Theory and Practice (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules (SBVR) specification.v1.0. Object Management Group (OMG) (January 2, 2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Sinur, J.: The art and science of rules vs. Process flows. Research Report G00166408, Gartner (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Skersys, T., Tutkutė, L., Butleris, R., Butkienė, R.: Extending BPMN Business Process Model with SBVR Business Vocabulary and Rules. Information Technology and Control 41(4) (2012) ISSN 1392-124XGoogle Scholar
- 16.Zur Muehlen, M., Indulska, M.: Modeling Languages for Business Processes and Business Rules: A representational Analysis. Information Systems Journal 35(4), 379–390Google Scholar