A Constant Loop Bandwidth Fraction-N Frequency Synthesizer for GNSS Receivers
A fully integrated 2.8 GHz to 3.4 GHz frequency synthesizer for satellite navigation RF resciever is implemented in 0.18-μm CMOS process and its area is 0.4 mm2. A constant and low tuning Gain (KVCO) is achieved by an improved voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) architecture. The constant loop bandwidth, which is designed to 60 kHz, is implemented by making charge pump current (ICP) match the division ratio N. The synthesizer exhibits phase noise of -85.62 dBc/Hz at 10 KHz offset and -92.78 dBc/Hz at 100 kHz offset, while consuming 18 mW from a 1.8 V supply.
KeywordsFrequency synthesizer voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) phase noise bandwidth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kim, J., Horowitz, M.A., Wei, G.Y.: Design of CMOS adaptive bandwidth PLL/DLLs:A general approach. IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits 50, 860 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Xizhen, Y., Shimao, X., Yuhua, J., Qiwu, W., Chengyan, M., Tianchun, Y.: A constant loop bandwidth fractional- frequency synthesizer for GNSS receivers. JournaI of Semiconductors 33(4) (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Lei, L., Jinghong, C., Yuan, L., Hao, M., Zhangwen, T.: An 18-mW 1.175–2-GHz Frequency Synthesizer with Constant Bandwidth for DVB-T Tuners. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 57(4) (April 2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Jaewook, S., Hyunchol, S.: A fast and high-precision VCO frequency calibration technique for wideband ΔΣ fractional-N frequency synthesizers. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Regular Papers 57(7) (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Rhee, W.: Design of high-performance CMOS charge pumps in phase-locked loops. In: IEEE Int Circuits Syst. Symp., vol. 2, pp. 545–548 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Cheng, K.W., Natarajan, K., Allstot, D.J.: A current reuse quadrature GPS receiver in 0.13μm CMOS. IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits 45, 510 (2010)Google Scholar