Applying Variable Neighborhood Search Algorithm to Multicore Task Scheduling Problem
The emergence of multicore processors makes multicore task scheduling a focus of researchers. Since the multicore task scheduling problem is NP-hard, in most cases only approximate algorithms can be adopted to resolve it. This paper provides a detail analysis of the four aspects of applying variable neighborhood search algorithm (VNSA) to the multicore task scheduling problem. We further give a solution: (1) we propose a general solution model named task assignment matrix (TAM) (2) and define relevant element swap operations between the TAM instances; (3) then we present a construction method of the neighborhood and the neighborhood set; (4) finally we introduce a local search strategy for the neighborhood set. We have proved the effectiveness of this scheme through experiments. The results show that the scheduled tasks with different communication to computation ratio have a 1.079-4.258 times performance improvement.
KeywordsVNSA multicore processor task scheduling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Geng, X., Xu, G., Wang, D.: A Task Scheduling Algorithm Based on Multicore Processors. In: 2011 International Conference on Mechatronic Science, Electric Engineering and Computer (MEC), pp. 942–945 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Song, F., YarKhan, A., Dongarra, J.: Dynamic Task Scheduling for Linear Algebra Algorithms on Distributed-Memory Multicore Systems. In: Proceedings of the Conference on High Performance Computing Networking, Storage and Analysis (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, W., Hung, H.: Energy-efficient Scheduling of Periodic Real-time Tasks for Reliable Multicore Systems. In: Electrical and Control Engineering (ICECE), pp. 5887–5890 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Cheng, H.: A High Efficient Task Scheduling Algorithm Based on Heterogeneous Multi-Core Processor. In: 2010 2nd Database Technology and Applications (DBTA), pp. 26–29 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Ilavarasan, E., Thambidurai, P.: Low Complexity Performance Effective Task Scheduling Algorithm for Heterogeneous Computing Environments. Journal of Computer Sciences 3, 94–103 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Kwok, Y.: Benchmarking the Task Graph Scheduling Algorithms. In: Parallel Processing Symposium, IPPS/SPDP 1998, pp. 531–537 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Olteanu, A., Marin, A.: Generation and Evaluation of Scheduling DAGs: How to Provide Similar Evaluation 1, 57–66 (2011)Google Scholar