Development of an Ontology-Based E-Learning System
The paper describes the experience on using ontologies and other semantic technologies in e-learning and distant education. The main goal of the project is development of an ontology-based e-learning system to rectify a range of problems which currently exist in the Russian education, including the weak structuring of educational resources and the lack of connections between their individual components. The paper presents the ontology-based model and the platform called Information Workbench which are used in the system.
Keywordse-learning education online learning Semantic Web in education ontological models of educational programs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, T., Whitelock, D.: The Educational Semantic Web: Visioning and Practicing the Future of Education. Journal of Interactive Media in Education, Special Issue on the Educational Semantic Web, 1–15 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Linked Universities, http://linkeduniversities.org/lu/
- 3.The Open University, http://www.open.ac.uk/
- 4.Isaac, Y., Bourda, Y., Grandbastien, M.: SemUNIT – French UNT and Linked Data. In: The 2nd International Workshop on Learning and Education with the Web of Data at the World Wide Web Conference, Lyon, France (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Taibi, D., Panasci, G., Leziti, B.: LOD.CS.UNIPA Project: An experience of LOD at the University of Palermo. In: The 2nd International Workshop on Learning and Education with the Web of Data at the World Wide Web Conference, Lyon, France (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Kessler, C., Kauppinen, T.: Linked Open Data University of Muenster - Infrastructure and Applications. In: Demos of the 9th Extended Semantic Web Conference, Heraklion, Greece (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Hendrix, M., Protopsaltis, A., Dunwell, I., de Freitas, S., Petridis, P., Arnab, S., Dovrolis, N., Kaldoudi, E., Taibi, D., Dietze, S., Mitsopoulou, E., Spachos, D., Bamidis, P.: Technical Evaluation of The mEducator 3.0 Linked Data-based Environment for Sharing Medical Educational Resources. In: The 2nd International Workshop on Learning and Education with the Web of Data at the World Wide Web Conference, Lyon, France (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Hladky, D.: LOD Russia – Enabling Russian National Knowledge with Scientific Open Data. In: Workshop “Web of Linked Entities” at the 11th International Semantic Web Conference, Boston MA (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Academic Institution Internal Structure Ontology (AIISO), http://vocab.org/aiiso/schema
- 10.Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM), http://scorm.com/
- 13.Haase, P., Schmidt, M., Schwarte, A.: The Information Workbench as a Self-Service Platform for Linked Data Applications. In: The 2nd International Workshop on Consuming Linked Data, Bonn (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Haase, P., et al.: The Information Workbench - Interacting with the Web of Data. Technical report, fluid Operations & AIFB Karlsruhe (2009)Google Scholar