Mapping of Illegal Dumps in the Czech Republic – Using a Crowd-Sourcing Approach
The paper describes an environmental project ZmapujTo (www.ZmapujTo.cz) which is intended to fight against illegal waste dumps in the Czech Republic using a modern, effective and widespread platform. As a supporting tool a smartphone/tablet reporting application ZmapujTo has been developed. This freely available mobile application enables users to report illegal dumps and also overloaded of municipal waste containers. The project ZmapujTo is intended for all people who want to live in a clean environment in their cities, villages or countryside and additionally want to raise awareness of unacceptable environmental behaviour of people.
Users of this GIS based mobile application can report illegal dumps quickly and easily by using their smartphones/tablets. Thus, everybody can use this interactive public web form to report illegal dumps in the Czech Republic. The objective of this project is to contribute to reduce environmental pollution caused by illegal dumps in the Czech Republic by making available a modern, effective and widespread platform for reporting and monitoring of illegal dumps.
Keywordsillegal dumps mapping reporting GPS mobile application crowd-sourcing
- 1.Hanfman, E.: A Comprehensive Assessment of Illegal Waste Dumping. Water Health Educator (2009), http://www.waterhealtheducator.com/upload/Illegal%20Waste%20Dumping%20Article.pdf
- 2.Europol. Europol warns of increase in illegal waste dumping (2011), https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/simplenews/europol-warns-increase-illegal-waste-dumping-1057
- 3.AnyJunk Fly Tipping Report 2012 (2012), http://www.anyjunk.co.uk/fly-tipping-report-2012
- 4.Fechtnerová, A.: The issue of illegal dumping on land designated for forestry. Lesnická práce - časopis pro lesnickou vědu a praxi 3 (2011), http://www.silvarium.cz/lesnicka-prace-c-3-11/problematika-cernych-skladek-na-pozemcich-urcenych-k-plneni-funkci-lesa
- 5.Waste Management Information System of the Czech Republic (2013), http://www1.cenia.cz/www/odpady/isoh
- 6.Morita, A., Takagishi, S.: GIS-based Support Systems for the Reduction of Illegal Dumping. In: Proceedings 22nd Annual Esri International User Conference–Exploring the New World of GIS!, San Diego, California, U.S.A, July 8-12 (2002), http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc02/pap1172/p1172.htm
- 9.Illegal Dumping project (2013), http://www.hccrems.com.au/Programs/Environmental-Compliance/Sub-projects/Illegal-Dumping.aspx
- 10.Šauer, P., et al.: Visegrad Countries: Environmental Problems and Policies. Published by CENIA, Prague (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Kubásek, M., Hřebíček, J.: Crowdsource Approach for Mapping of Illegal Dumps in the Czech Republic. International Journal of Spatial Data Infrastructures Research (to be pubished 2013)Google Scholar