A Novel Computer Aided Detection (CADe) Scheme for Colonic Polyps Based on the Structure Decomposition
Accurately detecting small polyps (ranged from 5~8mm) on the colon wall is of great significance for early diagnosis colorectal cancers. However, colon usually consists of the mucosa layers which result in partial volume effect (PVE) on the colon wall. Consequently, the task of computer aided detection (CADe) of polyps turns into too complicated to be reached by simply following solo philosophy. In order to achieve the mission of small polyps’ detection, we propose a novel global structure decomposition approach in this paper. That is, the complex colon was separated into much uniform broken parts by means of analysis on second order derivatives of the volume image. Experimentally, we chose 60 patient cases from dataset provided by Wisconsin, and in which we focus on the polyps whose size range from 5~8mm to validate the presented new approach. Compared with previously presented in the literature, the experimental results are much more promising with an average sensitivity of 0.984. Meanwhile, the false positive rate dramatically decreased to 2.2 per dataset after false positive reduction.
KeywordsColonic polyp computed tomography colonography computeraided detection colon structure decomposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Cancer Society: Cancer Facts & Figures. American Cancer Society, Atlanta (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, M.H., Blevins, M., Herman, B., Johnson, C.: National CT Colonography Trial (ACRIN 6664): are CT colonography, colonoscopy and pathology giving the same measures for polyp size? Radiological Society of North America, 279 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Lorenz, C., Carlsen, I.C., Buzug, T.M., Fassnacht, C., Weese, J.: Multi-scale line segmentation with automatic estimation of width, contrast and tangential direction in 2D and 3D medical images. In: Troccaz, J., Mösges, R., Grimson, W.E.L. (eds.) CVRMed-MRCAS 1997. LNCS, vol. 1205, pp. 233–242. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kim, S.H., Lee, J.M., Lee, J.G., Kim, J.H., Lefere, P.A., Han, J.K., Choi, B.I.: Computer-Aided Detection of Colonic Polyps at CT Colonography Using a Hessian Matrix-Based Algorithm: Preliminary Study. Gastrointestinal Imaging 189, 41–51 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Chang, C.-C., Lin, C.: LIBSVM: A library for support vector machines (2001), http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvm
- 15.Zhu, H., Duan, C., Wang, S., Liang, Z.: Computer-aided detection of colonic polyps with level set based adaptive convolution. Cancer Management and Research 1, 1–13 (2009)Google Scholar