Scaling Informal Learning: An Integrative Systems View on Scaffolding at the Workplace
While several technological advances have been suggested to scale learning at the workplace, none has been successful to scale informal learning. We review three theoretical discourses and suggest an integrated systems model of scaffolding informal workplace learning that has been created to tackle this challenge. We derive research questions that emerge from this model and illustrate these with an in-depth analysis of two workplace learning domains.
KeywordsWorkplace Learning Informal Learning Scaffolding Scaling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Attwell, G., Baumgartl, B., Balica, M., Figueira, E., Grollmann, P., Kämäräinen, P., van Elk, L.: Creating Learning Spaces: Training and Professional Development for Trainers. Navreme, Vienna (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Hague, C., Logan, A.: A review of the current landscape of adult informal learning using digital Technologies. General Educators Report (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Collins, A., Brown, J.S., Newman, S.E.: Cognitive apprenticeship: Teaching the craft of reading, writing, and mathematics. In: Resnick, L.B. (ed.) Knowing, Learning, and Instructions: Essays in Honor of Robert Glaser, pp. 453–494. Erlbaum (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.Wenger, E.: Communities of practice: Learning as a social system. Systems Thinker 9(5), 2–3 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Schmidt, A., Hinkelmann, K., Ley, T., Lindstaedt, S., Maier, R., Riss, U.: Conceptual Foundations for a Service-oriented Knowledge and Learning Architecture: Supporting Content, Process and Ontology Maturing. In: Pellegrini, T., Auer, S., Tochtermann, K., Schaffert, S. (eds.) Networked Knowledge - Networked Media. SCI, vol. 221, pp. 79–94. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Mandl, H., Spada, H.: Wissenspsychologie. Psychologie Verlags Union (1988)Google Scholar