Ranking Images Using Customized Fuzzy Dominant Color Descriptors
In this paper we describe an approach for defining customized color descriptors for image retrieval. In particular, a customized fuzzy dominant color descriptor is proposed on the basis of a finite collection of fuzzy colors designed specifically for a certain user. Fuzzy colors modeling the semantics of a color name are defined as fuzzy subsets of colors on an ordinary color space, filling the semantic gap between the color representation in computers and the subjective human perception. The design of fuzzy colors is based on a collection of color names and corresponding crisp representatives provided by the user. The descriptor is defined as a fuzzy set over the customized fuzzy colors (i.e. a level-2 fuzzy set), taking into account the imprecise concept that is modelled, in which membership degrees represent the dominance of each color. The dominance of each fuzzy color is calculated on the basis of a fuzzy quantifier representing the notion of dominance, and a fuzzy histogram representing as a fuzzy quantity the percentage of pixels that match each fuzzy color. The obtained descriptor can be employed in a large amount of applications. We illustrate the usefulness of the descriptor by a particular application in image retrieval.
KeywordsCustomized Fuzzy Color Dominant color descriptor Fuzzy Quantification Image retrieval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Gabbouj, M., Birinci, M., Kiranyaz, S.: Perceptual color descriptor based on a spatial distribution model: Proximity histograms. In: International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, ICMCS 2009, pp. 144–149 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, Z., Chan, P.P.K., Ng, W.W.Y., Yeung, D.S.: Content-based image retrieval using color moment and gabor texture feature. In: 2010 International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC), vol. 2, pp. 719–724 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, A., Bao, X.: Extracting image dominant color features based on region growing. In: 2010 International Conference on Web Information Systems and Mining, WISM 2012, vol. 2, pp. 120–123 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Islam, M.M., Zhang, D., Lu, G.: Automatic categorization of image regions using dominant color based vector quantization. In: Computing: Techniques and Applications, DICTA 2008, Digital Image, pp. 191–198 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Negrel, R., Picard, D., Gosselin, P.: Web scale image retrieval using compact tensor aggregation of visual descriptors. IEEE MultiMedia (99), 1 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Preparata, F.P., Shamos, M.I.: Computational geometry: algorithms and applications, 2nd edn. Springer, New York (1988)Google Scholar
- 11.Soto-Hidalgo, J.M., Chamorro-Martinez, J., Sanchez, D.: A new approach for defining a fuzzy color space. In: IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI 2010), pp. 292–297 (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Yahoo! Flickr api. a programmers place to create applications @ONLINE (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Yamada, A., Pickering, M., Jeannin, S., Jens, L.C.: Mpeg-7: Visual part of experimentation model version 9.0. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11/N3914 (2001)Google Scholar