The Hints from the Crowd Project
Can the crowd be a source of information? Is it possible to receive useful hints from comments, blogs and product reviews? In the era of Web 2.0, people are allowed to give their opinion about everything such as movies, hotels, etc.. These reviews are social knowledge, that can be exploited to suggest possibly interesting items to other people.
The goal of the Hints From the Crowd (HFC) project is to build a NoSQL database system for large collections of product reviews; the database is queried by expressing a natural language sentence; the result is a list of products ranked based on the relevance of reviews w.r.t. the natural language sentence. The best ranked products in the result list can be seen as the best hints for the user based on crowd opinions (the reviews).
The HFC prototype has been developed to be independent of the particular application domain of the collected product reviews. Queries are performed by evaluating a text-based ranking metric for sets of reviews, specifically devised for this system; the metric evaluates the relevance of product reviews w.r.t. a natural language sentence (the query).
We present the architecture of the system, the ranking metric and analyze execution times.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fosci, P., Psaila, G.: Finding the best source of information by means of a socially-enabled search engine. In: 16th Annual KES Conference, San Sebastian (Spain), pp. 1253–1262 (September 2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Fosci, P., Psaila, G.: Toward a product search engine based on user reviews. In: DATA 2012 Int. Conf. on Data Technologies and Applications, Rome, Italy (July 2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Hu, M., Liu, B.: Mining and summarizing customer reviews. In: Kim, W., Kohavi, R., Gehrke, J., DuMouchel, W. (eds.) KDD, pp. 168–177. ACM (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Liu, B., Hu, M., Cheng, J.: Opinion observer: analyzing and comparing opinions on the web. In: Ellis, A., Hagino, T. (eds.) WWW, pp. 342–351. ACM (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Robin, H., Jablonski, S.: Nosql evaluation: A use case oriented survey. In: CSC 2011 International Conference on Cloud and Service Computing, Hong Kong, China, pp. 336–341 (December 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Strauch, C.: Nosql databases (2011), http://www.christof-strauch.de/nosqldbs.pdf