A File Recommendation Method Based on Task Workflow Patterns Using File-Access Logs
In recent years, office workers spend much time and effort searching for the documents required for their jobs. To reduce these costs, we propose a new method for recommending files and operations on them. Existing technologies for recommendation, such as collaborative filtering, suffer from two problems. First, they can only work with documents that have been accessed in the past, so that they cannot recommend when only newly generated documents are inputted. Second, they cannot easily handle sequences involving similar or differently ordered elements because of the strict matching used in the access sequences. To solve these problems, such minor variations should be ignored. In our proposed method, we introduce the concepts of abstract files as groups of similar files used for a similar purpose, abstract tasks as groups of similar tasks, and frequent abstract workflows grouped from similar workflows, which are sequences of abstract tasks. In experiments using real file-access logs, we confirmed that our proposed method could extract workflow patterns with longer sequences and higher support-count values, which are more suitable as recommendations.
KeywordsFile recommendation File abstraction Abstract task Abstract workflow Log analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Feldman, S., Duhl, J., Marobella, J.R., Crawford, A.: The hidden costs of information work. IDC WHITE PAPER (March 2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Han, J., Kamber, M., Pei, J.: Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques, 2nd edn. Morgan Kaufmann (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Lai, C., Liu, D.: Integrating knowledge flow mining and collaborative filtering to support document recommendation. The Journal of Systems and Software, 2023–2037 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Okamoto, H., Yokota, H.: Access log based web page recommendation using multiple attributes of web pages. In: Proc. WebDB Forum 2009 (November 2009) (in japanese)Google Scholar
- 5.Song, Q., Kawabata, T., Itoh, F., Watanabe, Y., Yokota, H.: Recommendation method for files and operations based on workows of abstract tasks from access log. IPSJ (2013) (in japanese)Google Scholar
- 6.Taguchi, H., Sakojo, S., Iwata, M.: Personalized document recommendation for field engineers. DEIM (2011) (in japanese)Google Scholar
- 7.Wu, Y., Otagiri, K., Watanabe, Y., Yokota, H.: A file search method based on intertask relationships derived from access frequency and RMC operations on files. In: Hameurlain, A., Liddle, S.W., Schewe, K.-D., Zhou, X. (eds.) DEXA 2011, Part I. LNCS, vol. 6860, pp. 364–378. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar