Managing Emergent Processes with Information-Based Agents
Emergent processes are business processes whose execution is determined by the prior information of the agents involved and by the information that emerges during a process instance. The path that they follow is determined on-the-fly by the decision-makers involved. Multiagent systems are an established platform for managing complex business processes. What is needed for emergent process management is agents that support decision-making and do not attempt to manage the process in pursuit of some fixed process goal. This paper describes how the information-based agent architecture is highly suited to emergent process support.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.van der Aalst, W., van Hee, K.: Workflow Management: Models, Methods, and Systems. The MIT Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Fischer, L.: The Workflow Handbook 2003. Future Strategies Inc. (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Smith, H., Fingar, P.: Business Process Management (BPM): The Third Wave. Meghan-Kiffer Press (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Singh, M.: Business Process Management: A Killer Ap for Agents? In: Jennings, N., Sierra, C., Sonenberg, L., Tambe, M. (eds.) Proceedings Third International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi Agent Systems, AAMAS 2004, pp. 26–27. ACM (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Sierra, C., Debenham, J.: Information-based agency. In: Proceedings of Twentieth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, IJCAI 2007, Hyderabad, India, pp. 1513–1518 (January 2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Sierra, C., Debenham, J.: The LOGIC Negotiation Model. In: Proceedings Sixth International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi Agent Systems, AAMAS 2007, Honolulu, Hawai’i, pp. 1026–1033 (May 2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Halpern, J.: Reasoning about Uncertainty. MIT Press (2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Patel, N.: Deferred action: Theoretical model of process architecture design for emergent business processes. In: Simons, R. (ed.) Operations Management: A Modern Approach, pp. 29–56. Apple Academic Press (2011)Google Scholar