Possible miRNA Coregulation of Target Genes in Brain Regions by Both Differential miRNA Expression and miRNA-Targeting-Specific Promoter Methylation
We computationally reanalyzed public domain data set deposited to gene expression omnibus, of mRNA expression, miRNA expression and promoter methylation pattern in four brain regions, i.e., frontal cortex, temporal cortex, pons and cerebellum. Then we found that more than hundreds of both miRNA regulation of target genes and miRNA-targeting-specific promoter methylation are significant on all six pairwise comparisons among the above mentioned four brain regions. We also showed that some of miRNA regulation of target genes is highly correlated with both or either of miRNA-targeting-specific promoter methylation and differential miRNA expression. We concluded that the combinatorial analysis of miRNA regulation of target genes, miRNA-targeting-specific promoter methylation and differential miRNA expression can figure out brain region specific contribution of miRNAsto brain functions and developments.
KeywordsmiRNA promoter methylation brain regions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Wang, D., Qiu, C., Zhang, H., et al.: Human Microrna Oncogenes and Tumor Suppressors Show Significantly Different Biological Patterns: From Functions to Targets. PLoS ONE 5 e13067 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Wittmann, J., Jack, H.M.: Serum MicroRNAs as Powerful Cancer Biomarkers. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1806, 200–207 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Miska, E., Alvarez-Saavedra, E., Townsend, M., et al.: Microarray Analysis of MicroRNA Expression in the Developing Mammalian Brain. Genome biology 5 R68 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Palmisano, W.A., Divine, K.K., Saccomanno, G., et al.: Predicting Lung Cancer by Detecting Aberrant Promoter Methylation in Sputum. Cancer Res. 60, 5954–5958 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Maruyama, R., Toyooka, S., Toyooka, K.O., et al.: Aberrant Promoter Methylation Profile of Bladder Cancer and Its Relationship to Clinicopathological Features. Cancer Res. 61, 8659–8663 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Farthing, C.R., Ficz, G., Ng, R.K., et al.: Global Mapping of Dna Methylation in Mouse Promoter Reveals Epigenetic Reprogramming of Pluripotency Genes. PLoS Genet 4 e1000116 (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Su, Z., Xia, J., Zhao, Z.: Functional Complementation Between Transcriptional Methylation Regulation and Post-transcriptional microRNA Regulation in The Human Genome. BMC Genomics 12 S15 (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Taguchi, Y-h.: Competitive Target Gene Regulation by Promoter Methylation and miRNA. IPSJ SIG Technical Reports 2012:1, 1–6 (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.Taguchi, Y.-H.: Inference of The Target Gene Regulation by miRNA via Mirage Server. In: Wan, J. (ed.) Introduction to Genetics – DNA Methylation and Gene Regulation, iConcept Press, Hong Kong (in press 2013)Google Scholar