Adaptive Sequential Prefetching for Multiple Streams
- 1.3k Downloads
Modern storage systems are becoming increasingly consolidated. As a result, there exists a competition for resources among concurrent streams. Sequential prefetching is widely used in modern storage system. Most of them always ignore the impact of diversified access rate of concurrent streams. However the concurrent streams with diversified access rate will introduce several problems. The streams with fast access rate may evict the cache blocks of the streams with slow access rate and lead the slow streams re-fetch the evicted cache blocks in future access, which makes the prefetching wastage and unfairness to the slow streams. We design and implement a novel, adaptive algorithm, named ASPM to solve these problems. Our experiments show that, compared with LRU and AMP, ASPM can achieve significantly improvement in fairness among concurrent streams and slightly in performance (average on 6.8%).
Keywordssequential prefetching adaptive storage system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Zhou, Y., Philbin, J., Li, K.: The Multi-Queue Replacement Algorithm for Second Level Buffer Caches. In: Proceedings of the General Track: 2002 USENIX Annual Technical Conference, pp. 91–104. USENIX Association (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, Z., Chen, Z., Srinivasan, S.M., Zhou, Y.: C-Miner: mining block correlations in storage systems. In: Proceedings of the 3rd USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies, p. 13. USENIX Association, San Francisco (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Gill, B.S., Modha, D.S.: SARC: sequential prefetching in adaptive replacement cache. In: Proceedings of the Annual Conference on USENIX Annual Technical Conference, p. 33. USENIX Association, Anaheim (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Gill, B.S., Bathen, L.A.D.: AMP: adaptive multi-stream prefetching in a shared cache. In: Proceedings of the 5th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies, p. 26. USENIX Association, San Jose (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Bucy, J.S., Schindler, J., Schlosser, S.W., Ganger, G.R., Contributors: The DiskSim simulation environment version 4.0 reference manual (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Lab, O.S.D.: Iometer I/O performance analysis tool (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Axboe, J., Brunelle, A.D., Scott, N.: blktrace(8) - linux man page (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Li, M., Varki, E., Bhatia, S., Merchant, A.: TaP: table-based prefetching for storage caches. In: Proceedings of the 6th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies, pp. 1–16. USENIX Association, San Jose (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Liang, S., Jiang, S., Zhang, X.: STEP: Sequentiality and Thrashing Detection Based Prefetching to Improve Performance of Networked Storage Servers. In: Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, p. 64. IEEE Computer Society (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Wachs, M., Abd-El-Malek, M., Thereska, E., Ganger, G.R.: Argon: performance insulation for shared storage servers. In: Proceedings of the 5th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies, p. 5. USENIX Association, San Jose (2007)Google Scholar