HB-Storage: Optimizing SSDs with a HDD Write Buffer
- 1.3k Downloads
In recent years, flash memory based storage device SSDs (solid state drives) have been regarded as the storage devices of next generation to replace HDDs (hard disk drivers). However, the high price of SSDs, especially those with high performance, results in the situation that SSDs and HDDS are both popularly used in real applications. In order to integrate the merits of SSDs and HDDS, it has become a hot research topic that using HDDs for SSDs to construct a hybrid storage system. The goal of this paper is to use the cheap low-end SSD and HDD to build a hybrid storage system with high efficiency, which is called HB-Storage. HB-Storage considers the characters of SSDs and HDDs, and builds a HDD write buffer to optimize the SSD write request. The write buffer is designed based on the data access load statistics. As a consequence, HB-Storage can utilize the higher read performance of SSDs, and can also improve the random write latency of SSDs. The experimental results show that HB-Storage can maintain a high read performance and significantly reduce the write requests on the SSD, and thus has higher overall performance.
KeywordsFlash Memory Read Operation Hotness State Physical Access Access Cost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, N., Prabhakaran, V., Wobber, T., et al.: Design Tradeoffs for SSD Performance. In: Proceedings of USENIX 2008 Annual Technical Conference on Annual Technical Conference, pp. 57–70 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Kgil, T., Roberts, D., Mudge, T.: Improving NAND Flash Based Disk Caches. In: Proceedings of Computer Architecture ( ISCA 2008), Beijing, China, pp. 327–338 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Kgil, T., Mudge, T.: Flashcache: A NAND Flash Memory File Cache for Low Power Web Servers. In: Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference on Compilers, Architecture and Synthesis for Embedded Systems, New York, USA, pp. 103–112 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, P., Jin, P., Yue, L.: A Time-Sensitive and Efficient Hybrid Storage Model Involving SSD and HDD. Chinese Journal of Computers 35(11), 2294–2305 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Koltsidas, I., Viglas, S.D.: Flashing up the Storage Layer. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment 1(1), 514–525 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Ou, Y., Härder, T., Jin, P.: CFDC: A Flash-Aware Replacement Policy for Database Buffer Management. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Workshop on Data Management on New Hardware, New York, USA, pp. 15–20 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Canim, M., Mihaila, G.A., Bhattacharjee, B., Ross, K.A., Lang, C.A.: SSD Buffer Pool Extensions for Database Systems. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment 3(1-2), 1435–1446 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/DiskSim/ (accessed in March 2013)