CorePeer: A P2P Mechanism for Hybrid CDN-P2P Architecture
- 1.3k Downloads
Hybrid CDN-P2P live streaming systems are designed and deployed to achieve the scalability of P2P networks and the desired low delay and high throughput of CDNs. However, the P2P mechanism used in pure peer-to-peer systems is not suitable to directly be applied in the hybrid CDN-P2P systems where edge server with strong service capacity is deployed. So, we customize a P2P mechanism, called PeerCore, for hybrid CDN-P2P architecture. PeerCore achieves dynamic resource scaling while guaranteeing quality-of-service by controlling the number of end users directly served by the edge server. In the mean time, we define a superiority index to reflect the stability and upload bandwidth capacity of a node. The more stable end hosts and end hosts with higher upload bandwidth have larger values of superiority index and gain the privilege to receive data directly from edge server. End hosts with larger value of superior index are apt to be promoted closer to edge server and consist of the delivery backbone for the live streaming system. Simulations results demonstrate the superior efficiency and robustness of PeerCore.
KeywordsContent delivery networks peer-to-peer live streaming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Homer, B.: Akamai using P2P for enhanced video delivery, http://www.onlinevideowatch.com/akamai-using-p2p-for-enhance-video/
- 2.Octoshape Grid Delivery Enhancement for Adobe Flash Player, http://www.octoshape.com/addin/about.php
- 3.BitTorrent Content Delivery Service, http://www.bittorrent.com/dna
- 4.Pando Managed P2P Network p2p, http://www.pandonetworks.com/
- 6.Huang, C., Wang, A., Li, J., Ross, K.: Understanding hybrid CDN–P2P: why limelight needs its own red swoosh. In: Proceedings of the 18th International Workshop on Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video, pp. 75–80 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Yin, H., Liu, X., Zhan, T., Sekar, V., Qiu, F., Lin, C., Zhang, H., Li, B.: Livesky: Enhancing cdn with p2p. ACM Trans. Multimedia Comput. Commun. Appl. 6(16), 1–16 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, Z., Wu, C., Li, B., Zhao, S.: Distilling superior peers in large-scale P2P streaming systems. In: INFOCOMM, pp. 82–90 (2009)Google Scholar