Comparative Study of Artificial Bee Colony Algorithms with Heuristic Swap Operators for Traveling Salesman Problem
Because the traveling salesman problem (TSP) is one type of classical NP-hard problems, it is not easy to find the optimal tour in polynomial time. Some conventional deterministic methods and exhaustive algorithms are applied to small-scale TSP; whereas, heuristic algorithms are more advantageous for the large-scale TSP. Inspired by the behavior of honey bee swarm, Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) algorithms have been developed as potential optimization approaches and performed well in solving scientific researches and engineering applications. This paper proposes two efficient ABC algorithms with heuristic swap operators (i.e., ABC-HS1 and ABC-HS2) for TSP, which are used to search its better tour solutions. A series of numerical experiments are arranged between the proposed two ABC algorithms and the other three ABC algorithms for TSP. Experimental results demonstrate that ABC-HS1 and ABC-HS2 are both effective and efficient optimization methods.
KeywordsArtificial Bee Colony Algorithm Heuristic Swap Operator Optimization Traveling Salesman Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aicardi, M., Giglio, D., Minciardi, R.: Determination of Optimal Control Strategies for TSP by Dynamic Programming. In: 47th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 2160–2167. IEEE Press, Piscataway (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Lopez, M.R., Tunon, M.I.C.: Design and Use of the CPAN Branch & Bound for the Solu-tion of the Travelling Salesman Problem (TSP). In: 15th International Conference on Electronics, Communications and Computers, pp. 262–267. IEEE Press, United States (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Lu, J., Fang, N., Shao, D., Liu, C.: An Improved Immune-Genetic Algorithm for the Traveling Salesman Problem. In: 3rd International Conference on Natural Computation, pp. 297–301. IEEE Press, Piscataway (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Vahdati, G., Ghouchani, S.Y., Yaghoobi, M.: A Hybrid Search Algorithm with Hopfield Neural Network and Genetic algorithm for Solving Traveling Salesman Problem. In: 2nd International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering, pp. 435–439. IEEE Press, Piscataway (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Banharnsakun, A., Achalakul, T., Sirinaovakul, B.: ABC-GSX: A Hybrid Method for Solving the Traveling Salesman Problem. In: 2nd World Congress on Nature and Biologically Inspired Computing, pp. 7–12. IEEE Press, Piscataway (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Kıran, M.S., İşcan, H., Gündüz, M.: The Analysis of Discrete Artificial Bee Colony Algorithm with Neighborhood Operator on Traveling Salesman Problem. In: Neural Computing & Applications, pp. 1–13. Springer, London (2012) (in press)Google Scholar