iPad 2013: A Leaning Tool for Students with Special Needs
Interactive technologies such as iPad are considered as perfect learning tool for students with special needs. Lately, educational researchers and technology specialists have coined the idea of using iPad as a learning tool for students with Autism spectrum disorder (ASD). However, our literature review on the subject matter shows that scientific investigations on using iPad with ASD students are scarce. Therefore, academic researchers should organize longitudinal studies examining this subject. In this work in progress submission, we have provided broad overview of our ongoing research focused on investigating as if and how iPad and similar interactive devices could be used for the betterment of students with ASD in Saudi Arabia i.e. supporting students with ASD in learning and play. This work in progress paper pinpoints recent work on this subject covering some of major challenges faced by the iPad for Autism research.
KeywordsAutism spectrum disorder (ASD) educational technology information technology information systems iPad learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Falcão, T.P., Price, S.: Informing design for tangible interaction: a case for children with learning difficulties. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Interaction Design and Children (IDC 2010), pp. 190–193. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Al-Wabil, A., Dhir, A., Al-Musaaed, H., Al-Sheaha, A.: Screening Program for Learning Difficulties in Arabic Speaking Students: Design Considerations for Educational Interfaces. In: Workshop on Interaction Design in Educational Environments (IDEE), 15th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS) (June 28, 2012)Google Scholar
- 4.CDCP: Center for Disease Control and Prevention, New Data on Autism Spectrum Disorders (2012), http://www.cdc.gov/Features/CountingAutism/ (retrieved)
- 5.Autism, PubMed Health, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002494/ (retrieved November 2011)
- 6.Autistic Disorder Definition, Autism Spectrum Disorder, ASD (2012), http://education.qld.gov.au/students/disabilities/adjustment/verification/asd.htm
- 7.Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) – Sign and Symptoms, Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/signs.html (retrieved November 2011)
- 8.Alper, M., Hourcade, J.P., Gilutz, S.: Interactive Technologies for Children with Special Needs. In: Workshop on Special Needs, IDC 2012, Bremen, Germany, June 12-15 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Duncan, H., Tan, J.: A visual task manager application for individuals with autism. J. Comput. Sci. Coll. 27(6), 49–57 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Herbert, M.: The iPad—Breaking New Ground in Special Education (November 2010), http://techworkshops.pottsgrove.wikispaces.net/file/view/The+iPad%E2%80%94Breaking+New+Ground+in+Special+Education.pdf/248317743/The%20iPad%E2%80%94Breaking%20New%20Ground%20in%20Special%20Education.pdf
- 11.King, M.L.: Effectiveness of the iPad in enhancing the mand repertoire for children with autism. Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. ProQuest Dissertations and Theses, 144 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Mozaffar, S.S.: iPad for Autism: How can the iPad serve as a teaching tool for students on the Autism Spectrum? In: Proceedings of the Fourth Annual Teachers College Educational Technology Conference, May 19-20 (2012)Google Scholar