Applying an Approach to Develop Web Applications Considering Accessibility Practices Using Design Rationale
Regardless of the techniques and methods that have been developed to improve web applications, there are still gaps that need to be solved in order to reduce the accessibility barriers. Aiming to contribute to this area, this study presents an controlled experiment to validate an approach which uses Design Rationale. The participants attended an initial training and, after being classified according to their experience and divided into different groups, they were asked to develop a web application. Such process gave rise to useful concerns that were shared among the work teams. This paper reports this experiment and presents relevant contributions to approach accessibility issues.
KeywordsWeb Accessibility Design Rationale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bittar, T.J., Lobato, L.L., Fortes, R.P.M.: Guidelines2Model2Code: uma Abordagem para incorporação de diretrizes no desenvolvimento Web orientado a modelos. In: Actas da Conferencia IADIS Ibero Americana, WWW/INTERNET 2010, Lagoa – Algarve (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Bittar, T.J., Neto, D., Lobato, L.L., Lucredio, D., Fortes, R.P.M.: Definição de metamodelos para Web incorporando boas práticas de acessibilidade e usabilidade. In: Anais da XXXVI Conferência Latino-Americana de Informática, CLEI 2010, Assunção (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Freire, A.P., Russo, C.M., Fortes, R.P.M.: A survey on the accessibility awareness of people involved in web development projects in Brazil. In: Proceedings of the 2008 International Cross-disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility (W4A 2008), pp. 87–96. ACM, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Grubber, T.R., Russel, D.M.: Design Knowledge and Design Rationale: A Framework for Representation, Capture, and Use. Technical Report KSL 90-45, Knowledge Systems Laboratory, Stanford, California, 40 p. (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Lazar, J., Feng, J.H., Hochheiser, H.: Research Methods in Human-Computer Interaction, 448 p. Wiley (2010) ISBN 978-0-470-72337-1Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, J.: Design Rationale Systems: Understanding the Issues. IEEE Expert/Intelligent Systems and Their Applications 12(3), 78–85 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Paiva, D.M.B., Fortes, R.P.M.: Design Rationale in Software Engineering: A Case Study. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Software Engineering & Knowledge Engineering, pp. 342–348. United Daily News Digital Co. and Tung Tai University, Taipei, Taiwan (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.W3C. Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 (2008), http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ (accessed at January 2013)