The E-training Caravans: An e-Inclusion Initiative in Saudi Arabia
Today’s technological world requires that individuals are capable of using Information and Communications Technology (ICT) effectively. In fact, more and more services are offered using technology, e.g. communication with family and friends, carrying out business, and interacting with governments.
To close the gap between "the technology-empowered communities and the technology-excluded communities" an initiative called the e-training caravan is presented in this paper. This initiative aims to enable the segments of society from dealing with telecommunications and information technology effectively, bridging the digital divide and raising awareness of the importance of ICT for all individuals. This initiative focuses on population of rural areas and low-income areas. In this paper we discuss the e-training caravan initiative proposed by the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (MCIT) in Saudi Arabia, and highlight its objectives and training program. We also discuss the results obtained after running the caravan for one year along with the encountered barriers.
Keywordse-Inclusion Digital Divide ICT Literacy Rural Communities Empowerment Saudi Arabia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.eInclusion | Europa - Information Society, http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/einclusion/index_en.htm (accessed: February 15, 2013)
- 2.Cunningham, M.: Exploiting the Knowledge Economy: Issues, Applications and Case Studies. IOS Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.eInclusion Foundation, http://www.e-i.hk/ (accessed: February 21, 2013)
- 5.Badger, M., Khan, M., Lanvin, B.: Growing Talent for the Knowledge Economy: The experience of Saudi Arabia. Best Practices in Networked Readiness: Selected Case Studies. World Economic Forum – 2011 Global Information Technology Report (GITR). Efficient Governance Global Information Technology Report (GITR) (2010-2011) Google Scholar
- 6.E-training Caravans - MCIT ePortal, http://www.mcit.gov.sa/english/initiatives/E-trainingCaravans/ (accessed: February 15, 2013)
- 7.E-Training Caravan Statistics, http://www.eqwafil.gov.sa/statistics.html (accessed: February 21, 2013)
- 8.Saudi Gazette - E-training caravans spread Internet literacy in villages, http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20110723105836 (accessed: February 21, 2013)
- 9.MCIT National IT Plan 2011/2012 Annual Report – MCIT ePortal, http://www.mcit.gov.sa/arabic/NICTP/Report/(accessed: February 28, 2013)