Developing a Performance-Based Design System with Semantic Interoperability
This paper presents an attempt to develop a performance-based design expert system intended to automate the checking of building code compliance. The proposed system may be used repeatedly throughout the design phase, from the earliest stages of development to the end of the design process, in order to improve the efficiency and quality of the design and to decrease the occurrences of design misapplication. Two of the critical issues in the development of the rule-based expert system presented here were the data modeling of building codes to be used as a knowledge base, and the algorithm for the application of this knowledge base. Both an object-oriented and a constraint-based approach to these issues are discussed in this paper. This paper gives a detailed overview of “CODE-MAVEN” as well as discussing an intelligence-based intuitive and graphical interface for the system that will also contribute to increased feedback on designs.
Keywordsbuilding code rule-based expert system data modeling objectoriented design system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Choi, J.W.: Real-time Management of Spatial Information of Design: A Space-Based Floor Plan Representation of Buildings. In: Israel-Korea Binational Conference on Geometrical Modeling and Computer Graphics, Seoul, pp. 221–234 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Choi, J.W., Park, J.W.: Developing A Building Design Compiler That Frequently Evaluates Building Design Performance within the Design Process. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, Thailand, pp. 553–565 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Korean Ministry of Legislation, http://www.moleg.go.kr
- 6.Korean Ministry of Construction & Transformation, http://www.moct.go.kr
- 7.Nicholson-Cole, D.: The GDL Cookbook. Marmalade (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.The National Assembly of the Republic of Korea, http://www.assembly.go.kr
- 9.Park, J.B., Lee, Y.M., Cho, M.S., Lee, B.H.: A study on the Systematization of Building Regulations Related to a Mass Housing Site Planning. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea 9(3), 3–10 (1993)Google Scholar
- 13.Yessios, C.I.: The Computability of Void Architectural Modeling. In: Proceedings of Symposium on Computer-Aided Design, Suny Buffalo, New York (1986)Google Scholar