Using Simulation Based Training Methods for Improved Warfighter Decision Making
Few efforts have greater significance to our warfighting capability than those aimed at dramatically improving the skills, knowledge, and experience of military decision makers. The research and technology ideas presented in this paper are motivated by need to improve the quality of decision makers through the design of innovative training technology for military decision makers. This paper describes an adaptive simulation based training approach to improve the effectiveness of warfighter decision making. The paper describes (i) a method for adaptive simulation based training; (ii) a mission-driven approach to measure trainee performance based on carefully designed metrics; and (iii) an automation support architecture for adaptive simulation based training. Examples are provided throughout the paper to illustrate key research ideas.
KeywordsSimulation Based Training Warfighter Decision Making Adaptive Training Mission Driven Performance Measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cannon-Bowers, J., Salas, E. (eds.): Making Decisions Under Stress: Implications for Individual and Team Training, pp. 365–374. APA Press, Washington, DC (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Alliger, Colegrove, Bennett: Mission Essential Competencies: New Method for Defining Operational Readiness and Training Requirements. In: Thirteenth International Occupational Analyst Workshop. San Antonio, TX (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Rodriguez, D., Tossell, C., Garrity, M., Morley, R.: Promoting Air and Space Operations Center (AOC) Training Transformation by Quantifying and Refining AOC Training Scenarios. 2004 I/ITSEC Conference, Paper No. 1822 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Benjamin, P., Graul, M., Akella, K., Gohlke, J., Schreiber, B., Holt, L.: Towards a Method for Adaptive Scenario Management. In: Proceedings of the Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation, and Education Conference (I/ITSEC), Paper No. 12080 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Phillips, J., McCloskey, M.J., McDermott, P.L., Wiggins, S.L., Battaglia, D.A., Thordsen, M.L., Klein, G.: Decision-Centered MOUT Training for Small Unit Leaders. DASW01-99-C-0002 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Denning, T., France, M., Bell, J., Bennett, W., Symons, S.: Performance Assessment in Distributed Mission Operations: Mission Essential Competency Decomposition. Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation, and Education Conference, Paper No. 1616 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Lampton, D.R., Cohn, J.V., Endsley, M.R., Freeman, J., Gately, M.T., Martin, G.A.: Measuring Situation Awareness for Dismounted Infantry Squads. 2005 Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation, and Education Conference, Paper No. 2293 (2005)Google Scholar