Aging Effects on the Readability of Characters on E-Book Terminals
In recent years, e-book terminals are spreading rapidly. In the current aging society, there is an increasing need for elderly people to use information devices such as e-book. The readability of characters on e-book displays is important especially for elderly people. Few studies have measured subjectively the visibility of characters on e-book displays. In this study we examined the relationship between the readability of characters on e-book terminals compared with the characters printed on paper. The readability of characters on the displays of e-books deteriorates remarkably as the characters become smaller, especially when the user is an elderly person. Thus, makers of mobile text characters should consider aging so that e-book terminals are readable to all age groups.
KeywordsReadability Visibility iPad Character Aging Effects
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fujikake, K., Hasegawa, S., Omori, M., Takada, H., Miyao, M.: Readability of Char-acter Size for Car-Navigation Systems. Journal of mobile Interactions 1(1), 3–9 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Hasegawa, S., Miyao, M., Matsunuma, S., Fujikake, K., Omori, M.: Effects of Ag-ing and Display Contrast on the Legibility of Characters on Mobile Phone Screens. International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies (iJIM) 2(4), 7–12 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Hasegawa, S., Fujikake, K., Omori, M., Miyao, M.: Readability of characters on mobile phone liquid crystal displays. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics (JOSE) 14(3) (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.ISO 9241-3. Amendment 1. International Organization for Standardization (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.ISO 9241-3. Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display termi-nals (VDTs) Part 3: Visual display requirements. International Organization for Standardization (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Hasegawa, A., Miyao, M., et al.: Characteristics of Displays of e-Book Terminals on Text Readbility. In: IDW 2011, pp. 1131–1132 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Kanda, T., Miyao, M., et al.: Evaluation of e-paper Readability. In: IDW 2011, pp. 1135–1136 (2011)Google Scholar