Assisting Lifestyles: “Laughing, Living and Learning”
This paper reports on practices of a senior community based on the findings from three participatory observation sessions, a short survey and wrap-up interviews. Our findings suggest that both the lifestyle of individuals and the constraints of the specific community settings play a role for designing for senior communities. We introduce our insights from our studies on the setting, the artifacts used in the sessions and on senior individuals. Further we introduce our initial design ideas and discuss their relations to the presented design space.
KeywordsCartesian Coordinate System Design Idea Mental Training Lima Group Design Researcher
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Brandt, E., Binder, T., Malmborg, L., Sokoler, T.: Communities of everyday practice and situated elderliness as an approach to co-design for senior interaction. In: Proceedings of the 22nd Conference of the Computer-Human Interaction Special Interest Group of Australia on Computer-Human Interaction, pp. 400–403. ACM, Brisbane (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Essén, A., Östlund, B.: Laggards as innovators? Old users as designers of new services & service systems. International Journal of Design 5(3), 89–98 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Leonardi, C., Mennecozzi, C., Not, E., Pianesi, F., Zancanaro, M., Gennai, F., Cristoforetti, A.: Knocking on elders’ door: investigating the functional and emotional geography of their domestic space. In: Proc. CHI 2009, Boston, pp. 1703–1711 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Odom, W., Jung, H., Hazlewood, W.R.: Reflective inquires: a multi-dimensional approach to designing for domestic elderly life. In: Proceedings of Design and Emotion, D&E (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Oswald, W.D., Rupprecht, R., Hagen, B.: SimA-50 in Stichworten. Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg. SimA-Akademie, Erlangen (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Sian, E.L., Richard, H., Abigail, S.: Designing for elders: exploring the complexity of relationships in later life. In: Proc. of BCS-HCI 2008, vol. 1, pp. 77–86. British Computer Society, Swinton (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Vines, J., Blythe, M., Dunphy, P., Vlachokyriakos, V., Teece, I., Monk, A., Olivier, P.: Cheque mates: participatory design of digital payments with eighty somethings. In: Proc. of CHI 2012, pp. 1189–1198. ACM, Austin (2012)Google Scholar