Spatio-temporal Registration of 2D US and 3D MR Images for the Characterization of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
A spatio-temporal registration procedure of speckle-tracking echocardiography (STE) and cine magnetic resonance (MR) images is presented. It aims to fuse the mechanical information in STE with the tissue information in MR late-gadolinium-enhanced image (LGE-MR), in order to describe the relationship between left ventricular myocardial strain and macroscopic fibrosis in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). The registration was performed between the four-chambers-view STE contours (at rest), and the endocardial surfaces of the left ventricle (LV) from cine-MR short-axis-view sequence. The dynamic LV geometries were described by their Fourier descriptors. This spatio-temporal representation of LV geometries was exploited to avoid the lack of dissimilarity between static geometries. To accomplish this goal, the temporal alignment was performed with the dynamical time warping method. The registration was evaluated on four HCM patients with myocardial fibrosis. First results suggest a relationship between myocardial fibrosis and the modification of the strain curve.
KeywordsLate Gadolinium Enhancement Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Dynamical Time Warping Fourier Descriptor Fourier Decomposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bruder, O., Wagner, A., Jensen, C.J., Schneider, S., Ong, P., Kispert, E.-M., Nassenstein, K., Schlosser, T., Sabin, G.V., Sechtem, U., Mahrholdt, H.: Myocardial Scar Visualized by Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging Predicts Major Adverse Events in Patients with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 56(11), 875–887 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Gersh, B.J., Maron, B.J., Bonow, R.O., Dearani, J.A., Fifer, M.A., Link, M.S., Naidu, S.S., Nishimura, R.A., Ommen, S.R., Rakowski, H., Seidman, C.E., Towbin, J.A., Udelson, J.E., Yancy, C.W.: 2011 ACCF/AHA Guideline for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy A Report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 124(24), e783–e831 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Greenberg, N.L., Firstenberg, M.S., Castro, P.L., Main, M., Travaglini, A., Odabashian, J.A., Drinko, J.K., Rodriguez, L.L., Thomas, J.D., Garcia, M.J.: Doppler-Derived Myocardial Systolic Strain Rate is a Strong Index of Left Ventricular Contractility. Circulation 105(1), 99–105 (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Heldt, T., Shim, E.B., Kamm, R.D., Mark, R.G.: Computational Modeling of Cardiovascular Response to Orthostatic Stress. Journal of Applied Physiology 92(3), 1239–1254 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Leitman, M., Lysyansky, P., Sidenko, S., Shir, V., Peleg, E., Binenbaum, M., Kaluski, E., Krakover, R., Vered, Z.: Two-dimensional strain-a novel software for real-time quantitative echocardiographic assessment of myocardial function. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 17(10), 1021–1029 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Popović, Z.B., Kwon, D.H., Mishra, M., Buakhamsri, A., Greenberg, N.L., Thamilarasan, M., Flamm, S.D., Thomas, J.D., Lever, H.M., Desai, M.Y.: Association Between Regional Ventricular Function and Myocardial Fibrosis in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Assessed by Speckle Tracking Echocardiography and Delayed Hyperenhancement Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 21(12), 1299–1305 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Tavard, F., Simon, A., Hernandez, A.I., Betancur, J., Donal, E., Garreau, M.: Dynamic Registration of Cardiac US and CT Data Using Fourier Descriptors and Dynamic Time Warping. In: IEEE IPTA Conference (2012)Google Scholar