Safety as a Process Quality Characteristic
Software is increasingly been used to provide system functionality that is related to safety. From systems point-of-view safety is often considered to be a probabilistic property and development process has less significance. For software this approach is not necessarily valid. This article studies the applicable process scope in relation to safety requirements for software. Based on a new concept of process quality characteristics, process quality attributes for safety are tentatively defined. The aim of the presented process quality characteristic for safety is that risks related to achievement of safety goals in software development can be evaluated with process assessment. Key results would be increased trust in safety of software-intensive systems and established safety culture in development organizations.
Keywordssoftware process safety process quality process assessment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISO/IEC 25010:2011 Systems and software engineering–Systems and software Quality Requirements and Evaluation (SQuaRE)–System and software quality models (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.IEC 61508-3 Ed. 2.0, Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems – Part 3: Software requirements (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.ISO/IEC 33001 DIS, Information technology – Process assessment – Concepts and terminology (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.ISO/IEC/IEEE 24765:2010, Systems and Software Engineering Vocabulary, http://pascal.computer.org/sev_display/index.action
- 5.+SAFE, V1.2, A Safety Extension to CMMI-DEV, V1.2, CMU/SEI-2007-TN-006 (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.ISO/IEC TS 15504-10.4:2011, Information technology — Process assessment — Part 10: Safety extension (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Lawrence, J.D.: Software Reliability and Safety in Nuclear Reactor Protection Systems. NRC, CR6101 (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Smidts, C.S., et al.: A Large Scale Validation of a Methodology for Assessing Software Reliability. NRC (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Chu, T.-L., et al.: Development of Quantitative Software Reliability Models for Digital Protection Systems of Nuclear Power Plants. NRC (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Leveson, N.G.: Engineering a Safer World: Systems Thinking Applied to Safety. MIT (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Fenton, N., Neil, M., Marquez, D.: Using Bayesian Networks to Predict Software Defects and Reliability. In: Proceedings of IMECHE 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.ISO/IEC 15504-5:2012, Information technology – Process assessment – Part 5: An exemplar Process Assessment Model (2012)Google Scholar