The Application of Particle Swarm Optimization Arithmetic in Propeller Design
In order to obtain a propeller with good efficiency and cavitation performance, the propeller sections were optimization designed using particle swarm optimization (PSO) method. An interactive calculation method was used in design process for the circulation distribution of designed propeller was not coincident with optimization circulation. The difference of circulation was defined as correction factor to adjust lift coefficients of sections. PSO method was used to optimize sections to improve the lift-to-drag ratio and pressure distribution. The convergence condition was the circulation distribution fulfilled optimum circulation distribution form. A MAU propeller was optimized using the method. Hydrodynamic performances of propeller and sections’ pressure distribution of original propeller were compared with optimized propeller. It indicates from the results that compared with traditional method, the PSO method is simpler in theory and cost less computing time. The open water efficiency of optimized propeller advanced obviously. The min negative pressure is smaller which means the cavitation performance is better.
KeywordsPSO Propeller Optimization design Panel method Open water efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kennedy, J., Ebehtart, R., Shi, Y.: Swarm Intelligence. Morgan Kaufmann, San rnaeiseo (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Xu, P., Jiang, C.: Aerodynamic Optimization Design of Airfoil Based on Particle Swarm Optimization. Aircraft Design 128(15), 6–9 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Eberhart, R.C., Shi, Y.H.: Particle swarm optimization: development, applications and resources. In: Seoul, Korea: Proceedings of the 2001 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 81–86 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, Y., Song, B.: Aerodynamic optimization design and experimental study of a high-lift airfoil. Flight Dynamics 24(4), 70–72 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.The research of optimization design of propeller performance based on genetic algorithm. Dalian University of TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 7.Wang, X., Gao, Z.: Aerodynamic optimization design of airfoil based on genetic algorithm. Acta Aerodynamic Sinica 21(3), 70–75 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Chang, X., Guo, C.: Design of hydrofoil section based on particle swarm optimization. Ship Engineering 32(5), 1–3 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Xu, W., Wang, C., Huang, S., Yu, K., Zhou, B.: The application of Particle swarm optimization theory in the hydrofoil design. Journal of SHIP Mechanics 15(6), 598–604 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Gao, S.: Theory and Applications of Ant Colony Algorithm and Hybridizing Other Algorithms. In: A Dissertation Submitted to Nanjing University of Science and Technology for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Nanjing (2005)Google Scholar