Virtually Reconfigurable Secure Wireless Networks Using Broadcast Tokens
Secure multicast in a wireless network is possible only if subsets of nodes share different sets of encryption keys. In this paper we propose a key protection and release mechanism based on broadcast tokens, where each node is equipped with protected shares of several encryption keys (node-share) which can be unlocked only when the broadcast tokens arrive. If the node-shares are different for different nodes, each broadcast token could unlock a different set of keys in each node. This makes the network reconfigurable as the information shared between various nodes will change with the accumulation of each new token. A non-perfect secret sharing scheme has been used construct the node-shares and tokens based on a carefully designed codebook which must satisfy certain rules to ensure that the un-encrypted broadcast tokens and the node-shares do not leak the encryption keys. Construction for a three node re-configurable network is discussed under collusion-free conditions.
KeywordsReconfigurable Wireless networks Broadcast Key protection Tokens MIX-SPLIT Non-perfect secret sharing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eschenauer, L., Gligor, V.D.: A key-management scheme for distributed sensor networks. In: Proc. ACM Conf. on Computer and Communications Security (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Chan, H., Perrig, A., Song, D.: Random key predistribution schemes for sensor networks. In: Proc. Symposium on Security and Privacy, pp. 197–213 (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Du, W., Han, J.D.Y.S., Varshney, P.K., Katz, J., Khalili, A.: A pairwise key predistribution scheme for wireless sensor networks. ACM Transactions on Information System Security 8(2) (May 2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Wallner, D., Harder, E., Agee, R.: Key Management for Multicast: Issues and Architectures. Internet Draft (September 1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Wong, C.K., Mohamed, M., Lam, S.S.: Secure group communications using key graphs. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 8(1) (February 2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Karthik, K., Hatzinakos, D.: Multimedia Encoding for Access Control with Traitor Tracing: Balancing Secrecy, Privacy and Traceability. VDM Verlag Dr. Muller (2008) ISBN: 978-3-8364-3638-0Google Scholar
- 12.Karthik, K.: A ramp code for fine-grained access control. In: Intl. Conf. on Computer Science and Information Technology, CCSIT (2013)Google Scholar