Data Visualisation Techniques for Exploratory Analysis Processes
The paper is concerned with the design of user-centered environments for the exploration of large datasets. The specific focus is on high frequency financial news and market data. In previous work, the ADAGE SOA based framework which allows users to model and execute analysis processes has been proposed. One disadvantage is that although much of a business process may be automated, there still remain many steps that are user driven, particularly at the visualization stage. This paper examines this problem in more detail and proposes the concept of a visualization instance (VI) that captures the four essential elements of most analysis processes: data sources, business processes, UI controls and display types. VIs offer an interactive way for the data to be dynamically generated while exploring the datasets. By providing the ability to compose several VIs, complex visualizations can be generated. The paper describes an implementation that allows the processing of Thomson Reuters news data based on an existing ADAGE platform.
KeywordsVisualisation ADAGE SOA User Interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Appelbe, B., Bannon, D.: eResearch — paradigm shift or propaganda? J. Res. and Pract. in Inf. Technol. 39(2), 83–90 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Fleeter, S., Houstis, E., Rice, J., Zhou, C., Catlin, A.: GasTurbnLab: a problem solving environment for simulating gas turbines. In: Proc. 16th IMACS World Congr. on Sci. Comput., Appl. Math. and Simul., pp. 104–105 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Guabtni, A., Kundisch, D., Rabhi, F.A.: A User-Driven SOA for Financial Market Data Analysis. Enterprise Modelling and Information Systems Architectures 5(2), 4–20 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Tan, W., Missier, P., Foster, I., Madduri, R., De Roure, D., Goble, C.: A comparison of using Taverna and BPEL in building scientific workflows: the case of caGrid. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience 22, 1098–1117 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Robertson, C.S., Rabhi, F.A., Peat, M.: A Service-Oriented Approach towards Real Time Financial News Analysis. To appear in Consumer Information Systems (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Burton-Taylor: Le secteur de l’information financière en pleine mutation (2010), http://www.burton-taylor.com/consulting/PR-LE-2-25-10.html