Rule-Based Formalization of Eligibility Criteria for Clinical Trials
In this paper, we propose a rule-based formalization of eligibility criteria for clinical trials. The rule-based formalization is implemented by using the logic programming language Prolog. Compared with existing formalizations such as pattern-based and script-based languages, the rule-based formalization has the advantages of being declarative, expressive, reusable and easy to maintain. Our rule-based formalization is based on a general framework for eligibility criteria containing three types of knowledge: (1) trial-specific knowledge, (2) domain-specific knowledge and (3) common knowledge. This framework enables the reuse of several parts of the formalization of eligibility criteria. We have implemented the proposed rule-based formalization in SemanticCT, a semantically-enabled system for clinical trials, showing the feasibility of using our rule-based formalization of eligibility criteria for supporting patient recruitment in clinical trial systems.
KeywordsEligibility Criterion Invasive Lobular Carcinoma SPARQL Query Temporal Reasoning Trial Feasibility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Besana, P., Cuggia, M., Zekri, O., Bourde, A., Burgun, A.: Using semantic web technologies for clinical trial recruitment. In: Patel-Schneider, P.F., Pan, Y., Hitzler, P., Mika, P., Zhang, L., Pan, J.Z., Horrocks, I., Glimm, B. (eds.) ISWC 2010, Part II. LNCS, vol. 6497, pp. 34–49. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Bucur, A., ten Teije, A., van Harmelen, F., Tagni, G., Kondylakis, H., van Leeuwen, J., Schepper, K.D., Huang, Z.: Formalization of eligibility conditions of CT and a patient recruitment method, D6.1. Technical report, EURECA Project (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, Z., ten Teije, A., van Harmelen, F.: SemanticCT: A semantically enabled clinical trial system. Technical report, Vrije University Amsterdam (March 2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Ohno-Machado, L., Wang, S.J., Mar, P., Boxwala, A.A.: Decision support for clinical trial eligibility determination in breast cancer. In: Proc. AMIA Symp., pp. 340–344 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Ross, J., Tu, S., Carini, S., Sim, I.: Analysis of eligibility criteria complexity in clinical trials. AMIA Summits Transl. Sci. Proc. 2010, 46–50 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Wielemaker, J., Huang, Z., van der Meij, L.: SWI-Prolog and the web. Journal of Theory and Practice of Logic Programming 3, 363–392 (2008)Google Scholar